Where’s Lancpudin?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Digger, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Lancpudn likes this.
  2. Lancpudn

Lancpudn Well-Known Member

LOL Yeah it's a load off our mind to say the least, I was worried about our daughter because she still has a hacking cough & higher than normal temperature, Must be something akin to a Summer cold.:dunno:

Those two Cucamelons I grew from seed around the end of March didn't seem to be doing much so I pushed the two pots to the back of the tomato plants, I never noticed their thin vines had been wrapping around the tom plants at the back of the greenhouse, I've just noticed lots of little fruits on the vine, They're grape sized & very cute, Never tried them before so I don't know what they taste like

[​IMG]

3. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Never seen those before!

I have to head into town today to replenish medications and also to pick up some masks that have been made for us.
    Into out 8th month after incurring fire damage to our house works have actually started to repair the damage. It will be slow but at least it’s started! We had some of the fire damaged verandah posts replaced yesterday! Today before the rain, works are commencing on timber retaining walls in front of the house.

It finally feels like we are moving forward again.

My shed has been manufactured and we will pay for it today, probably get it delivered next week. The delay is that the site which is cut into the land is as wet as hell and the concreters can’t do their thing until it dries out a bit. Rain is something we are happy to have but in this case I wish it would wait a while...Sigh~

However I am getting twinges of excitement deciding what bench tools and racks I’m going to buy~ Final decisions on how to set it out will come when I can actually walk through. Then there’s plumbing and power. Spending is only just starting I fear.

4. Lancpudn

New masks eh! :thumb:

[​IMG]

Sounds like a spendy time ahead mate. :shock: I know how you feel about getting new benches/racks, I get a catalogue through the door periodically from a big chain store in town called 'Machine Mart' If I won the lotto it'd be the first place I'd go and I'd buy one of everything in that catalogue :thumb:

Digger likes this.
  5. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Good I’m happy to hear I’m not the only one!

Lancpudn likes this.
  6. Lancpudn

I'll be mowing the lawns today as they've dried out, It will have to be with the hover mower though as I've not got any petrol left in the jerry can :frown:
    I cant be bothered to get the car out of the garage to go and get some as there's a ton of horsey stuff my daughter put just behind the door :mad:

She'll be transporting her horse down from Scotland next month so she's getting everything ready.
    She passed her heavier weight 7.5 ton driving test so she could tow a bigger horse box and was looking at one of those Mitsubishi outlander PHEV SUV's

They've recently announced they're pulling out of the UK/EU and wont be spending any more on R&D or making any more new models for the UK, European market because of the ever tightening emission limits.
    They will still sell this Outlander SUV until it fails the emission limits so it's all up in the air if there will still be Mitsubishi dealerships here in the UK. :dunno:

7. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Ha with a 7.5 ton licence she will be able to get a couple more horses. Just think! No more lawn mowing...Chuckle~

Lancpudn likes this.
  8. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

It was nice yesterday so I serviced a saw and went to tackle the pile of downed trees up near the front gate.
    It was difficultly as it was like playing “Pick up sticks” with a big tangle of trunks and branches and pressure points all over the place. I had a good session and cut up enough to be able to get access into the middle and work on stable surfaces. It took me 15 minutes to brush enough of the wood chips off my clothes before I could go inside....Grin~

Did a few things inside which included making a fresh bread, but basically rested during the afternoon.

The weather is going to pack up overnight so I might do a firewood run first up and then make some adjustments to the slasher to even out the rub rails. I need a BIG impact wrench and a BIG hammer to adjust some BIG bolts and “encourage" the rails to level off....Grin~

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  9. Lancpudn

There's nothing like swinging a big hammer to persuade something to cooperate :yesway: A long time mate across the back asks to use my 1" drive ratchet/socket set to when he changes tow bars on his van (which he does every other year :shock:)
    The set has 20 huge sockets & the set must weigh 15kg I picked it up about 30 years ago along with a professional trolley jack from a tyre business that was going out of business.

It's a bit depressing with the growing season coming to a close :frown: Lots of tomatoes & peppers ripening ready to harvest, there are some more potatoes in 35 litre buckets more or less ready to harvest but I'll leave them til I need them, The leeks are starting to fatten up ready for leek & potato soups for Winter:dude: I'm not growing anything more outside as the slugs are having a field day with the sprouts/swede plants :mad: I think I'll get more flowers for next year.
    I woulkdn't mind one of these, I watched a youtube vid about making a 'Poly Tunnels' using the round frame of large trampolines.
    He put an ad on the local facebook market asking if anyone had one that they wanted to get rid of free, he was swamped with offers :shock:

He cut the frames in half to make the roof & hammered some scaffolding posts cut down to size into the ground & inserted the cut down frames into them for the roof.

His only real expence was the thick polythene (£60) which made a 20' x 10' like this one.
    [​IMG]

10. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

That looks like a goodun!

I had this delivered today. Does it look like $16,000 worth?
    [​IMG]

No you’re right it’s not as the 3 roller doors are still to come. I could be seeing it erected soon except for this!
    [​IMG]

Lake Digger!

Oh well maybe before Christmas~

Paruwi and Lancpudn like this.
  11. Lancpudn

Blimey! $16000, you were robbed mate :D Good to see things are finally moving.

12. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Yeah thanks,

More to come they say but all I care about is seeing it standing and completed.

Paruwi likes this.
  13. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

I did a lot of heavy stuff today and hoping to do more tomorrow if my backs not too achy.
    It was a gorgeous day of weather here, perfect in fact!

14. Lancpudn

I lifted up a potato plant from one of my planters yesterday & it was the best crop yet,
    there was a store bought salad variety potato sprouting in the back of the cupboard so I planted it around 12 weeks ago & got more potatoes off that than the seed potatoes :shock:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Well done mate! They look great!

I had a massive low sugar event soon after my shower this morning (not my fault) and have felt like crap all day since.

Following medical advice to inject in different positions each day has seen me with little or no stability and I’ve had some deep lows as a result. Going back to what I’ve done for years...bugger the advice!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    Lancpudn likes this.
  16. Lancpudn

That sounds rough mate, Stick with what you know best.

Looks like I'm on spade duty today! A few years ago one of our big wooden planters rotted away & the yucca plant needed to be moved out of it so I planted it in between (then) small shrubs, they're overgrown now & have almost covered over this yucca plant so I'm going to dig it up today as my missus has bought a big 75ltr garden container to transplant it into.
    I started early this morning taking the pain killers lol.

Digger likes this.
  17. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

I cut one of our pumpkins last night and it looks magnificent (even though I can’t stand pumpkin)

I’ll drop some at daughter Kellie's door and Roz’s, not going in! I’ll clean up some of the seed today and dry for the future and broadcast the rest into spots I cant access so maybe there will be secondary crops emerge...if the birds don’t get them all.

Gael makes a killer fruitcake that has some mashed pumpkin in it and it’s bloody lovely, so moist! Pritikin recipe I think it is...healthy too!
    The only problem is that we can’t buy glace’ cherries anywhere so that downrates the cake a bit.

Crappy day here today so unfortunately no work outside unless it changes a lot.

Lancpudn likes this.
  18. Lancpudn

This is the first year I've grown (tried) pumpkins/squash and none have grown properly :dunno:I think there's one plant left which has got two golf ball size pumpkins on which have never grown any bigger.

I don't think I'll bother with any brassica plants until I get some proper netting cages, the caterpillars have had a field day on them :mad: I've had to bin the rest of my swedes & cabbage, I've managed to save a few Brussels sprout plants and that's it.:frown:

It's a wet day here so nothing planned.

19. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I finished installing GFCI protection and higher quality outlets on one circuit in the garage Friday. I would have had it done Thursday, but of course ancient metal electrical boxes aren't quite wide enough for a fat GFCI outlet... Oh you can get them in there, but forgot it if you're doing a line & load install with a ground pigtail. Tripped the breaker, let the smoke out of the box... Yanked the outlet, grabbed baby Mjolnir and smashed both boxes of that type off my wall and walked away for the night. Cathartic.

Friday, I got new modern boxes installed the GFCI and converted the circuit beyond the GFCI to parallel.

Saturday, I rewired the other circuit we typically use in the garage for GFCI. Of course, it too was done forty kinds of wrong in the first place. The ground situation was embarrassing - they grounded the boxes but not the switch / outlet, and the light was wired backwards off the switch. They also didn't twist any of the pigtails in the junction box relying solely on the wire nuts to make the connection. I've fixed all of that.

20. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

The one dry day in the week today so moving cut wood to the spitting pile.