Where’s Lancpudin?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Digger, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

We aren’t allowed to do our own electrical work in this country and in fact electrical contractors must supply a certificate of compliance on completion. The other risk is that if you are unlucky enough to have a fire, insurance companies can avoid their obligations claiming the work wasn’t done to standard.

I had a big session yesterday morning and got the mowing done, well until I need to do it again next week. The cooler weather should slow growth down in a few weeks.

Not sure what to do today yet? Options are to brushcut around the place in areas I cant mow, or slash, or to cart a backpack spray around and kill hard to get weeds? Hmmmmm? Not keen on either option but those jobs have to be done regardless of how I feel about them.

And they call this “retirement”? Grin~

soulman969, Lancpudn and Biddlin like this.
  2. Lancpudn

Lancpudn Well-Known Member

Yeah it's the same here they wont sign off anything if they see electrical work that's not up to code. I've done some wiring electrical work/plug sockets on this house over 35 years ago that wouldn't pass today's code. I think there were only seven sockets in the entire house when we moved in :shock: I've yet to get the armoured cable laid to the garage for the MG charger,:facepalm: I'm going to need a sparky to do that job, God knows what he'll make of the old bakerlite system, The DNO who recently upgraded our electrical system to 100A signed it off OK.

3. soulman969

soulman969 Well-Known Member

The only wiring I'm confident enough with is done on a guitar or a bass and what's comes from the caffeine in my coffee. ;)

Digger likes this.
  4. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

What I'm really doing is only slightly more complicated than plugging into an outlet. Thankfully this is all in the "new" romex section of the wiring and not the "rope and tar" ish. That part I'm saving for the pros.

5. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Carrying a heavy backpack around yesterday did me in but the weeds got sprayed. well some of them anyway. A late afternoon call from Gaels sister Roz saw us deliver a spare TV to her when hers failed. I never watched TV in my study anyway.

Today I guess it’s brushcutting?

soulman969 likes this.
  6. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I'm guessing your spare was a fair bit newer / lighter than my spare?
    20210416_164428.jpg

Lancpudn likes this.
  7. soulman969

Livin' the life eh Digger?

How big is your place? How many acres?

Digger likes this.
  8. Lancpudn

I decided to give the cars a snow foam wash yesterday whilst the weather was nice, Even mowed the lawns & washed the mower :shock:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Paruwi and Digger like this.
  9. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

It's just 15 acres SM and without it I’d have given up ages ago. I always get up knowing I have the choice of many things I can do. I’m not capable of doing a lot these days however but happy to do what I can and that I have the equipment needed to do it. I wouldn’t swap my office for many others and am a really lucky man!

Paruwi and soulman969 like this.
  10. soulman969

Nothing better on the planet than a man whose happy with his choices in life including a soul mate he can spend it with too. :)

:cheers:

11. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

I’m blessed in many ways, lifestyle, family and friends are a big part of me being happy. Gael of course is the centre of my universe.

BIG GRIN~

12. Lancpudn

Took my older brother out to one of the big box DIY stores this morning to get paint supplies for him & sown all my broad beans, Borlotti beans & black eyed peas this afternoon, Time for a cold cider with ice me thinks :thumb:

soulman969 likes this.
  13. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Sounds like a plan.

Lancpudn likes this.
  14. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

I moved several self seeded saplings that had the misfortune to start life in the wrong place, some I used loppers on and a couple required my electric chainsaw. Thee was enough to more than fill a tractor bucket for transport to a burn pile. While on the tractor I headed for the paddocks and for a couple of hours I rocked and rolled, like a boat on stormy seas, topping emergent saplings and probably managed about an 80% result for my targeted species.
    I was appalled at how dirty my tractor ended up and it took me 20 minutes to clean it, me, not quite as long....Grin~

The paddocks look much cleaner and I see good patches on Kikuyu grass establishing in the bare spots. There is a huge patch of blackberry in one spot which will see me in there tomorrow if it’s not raining, drowning it with herbicide as I won’t let it get a hold.

Grrrrr! Bloody British settlers that just had to bring their weeds with them, didn’t they!

soulman969 and Paruwi like this.
  15. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

Not sure what those beans are, but if your black eyed peas are the same sort of thing as my black eyed peas, you’re my kinda guy!

Lancpudn likes this.
  16. Lancpudn

I've never grown black eyed peas before so it will be interesting to see how they fair, I love all varieties of Legumes & have a lot of peas pushing up through the soil now, Picking fresh peas for the pan is like picking fresh strawberries! You eat more of them before they make it to the kitchen :thumb:

17. Lancpudn

The chap across the back had those big silver birch trees cut down in half yesterday, They look like a picture from those first world war scenes where the trees have been shredded with munition blasts, :frown:

It's a good job I don't suffer from hay fever as when those big branches hit the deck there was a huge green fog of pollen that filled the air. :shock:

Off to pick our daughter up this morning from the garage as her car (Ford Kuga/Escape) has failed it's annual MOT on emissions amongst other things :rolleyes: That's going to be spendy. :ohno:

Paruwi likes this.
  18. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

I swung my brushcutter for about 20 minutes yesterday and that was all it took to kill my back and have me breathing hard! These are the things I hate about getting old! Later I did some work on my old tractor and may look for a new seat at the Agricultural field days over the weekend.

This is the next job! A thicket of self seeded black wattles behind the dam! I’ve sprayed them and they are starting to die but it leaves me with an area about 10m X 7m to root out. I may consider hiring a bobcat to do it? They are about 4’ longer than they look.
    [​IMG]

Paruwi likes this.
  19. Lancpudn

That's a lot of work to get them out, looks like machete country there mate.

20. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Anything that involves lots of bending is out!

Lancpudn likes this.