Where’s Lancpudin?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Digger, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I did the same with SWMBO the first time we went to MN in the dead of winter. I had her do all the things you're not supposed to do on snow and ice just so she knew what it felt like when things are going wrong. I did try to teach her corrective actions, but real-world vs parking lot leaves a lot to be desired. I'd be more comfortable with her winter driving if we could ease into it - as in we live in the area and she can feel it out as the seasons change. She hasn't developed the instincts for it and dropping her in doesn't trigger things like it does for me.

2. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

I started moving bricks yesterday after first pushing them around with the tractor as there’s usually a snake or two soaking up the warmth. Not sure how stable my stack is or if it’s still even standing this morning.

If not its to plan B. Darn, what is plan B again?

Paruwi likes this.
  3. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

Well, the bride has learned over the years that the groom knows a thing or two about cars, learned about how ABS and stuff works, and has on occasion been known to drive spiritedly in the steed at the time. I know when the car genome is sparked when she wants to take my car on a trip. My old Jaguar was her favorite for that.

4. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Well, I chalk a lot of my situation up to the fact that she's lived in FL her entire life, and I largely learned to drive in winter conditions. I always paid attention whenever Dad drove us places and even when not behind the wheel learned to pay attention and feel what the car was telling me.

5. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

We headed into town yesterday morning and grabbed some paint for the farm gate entry, more potting mix and mulch.

Hmmmm? Sounds like work?

While we were so close we moseyed down to Paynesville by the water and had lovely fish & chips for lunch while watching the boats. It’s nice there in winter with far fewer tourists!

Paruwi likes this.
  6. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

I spent some time on the tractor “Topping” about an acre of bracken. I need to reseed grass there by early spring but need the bracken gone first. I also need to preserve what grass is underneath it so spray poisoning is out. In the past I all but eradicated the fernlike plant using a “wick wiper” a system of heavy felt strips saturated with Brushoff on a trailer and dragged over the unwanted plant. I used to be able to hire them locally but nothing around at the moment. I don’t want to buy a weed wiper necessarily, better to hire for what I need to do.

So yesterday was an experiment in disrupting by cutting the fronds off.

Today I might paint the farm gate entry to match the other buildings here?

Paruwi likes this.
  7. Lancpudn

Lancpudn Well-Known Member

I think my Missus needs to go & have her eyes tested again! Unbeknown to me she picked all the fresh peas off the plants only they weren't peas, they were my broad beans :rolleyes::shock: They hadn't fully matured yet with only tiny beans inside the pods :facepalm:

Got to get the carpet up in the hallway & a section in the living room rolled back today + sort the trapdoor out as we're having the 76cm/2' 6" underfloor cavity filled with insulation tomorrow, I foresee curious cats getting under the floor tomorrow :shock:

Paruwi likes this.
  8. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Yep spent a few hours painting the farm gate entry structure yesterday. Hard on arthritic hands trying to push paint into rough sawn hardwood! It’s done however and one more thing crossed off a long list!

Paruwi likes this.
  9. Lancpudn

Well the insulation guys never turned up yesterday :frown: We tried to contact them all day with luck so who knows what's going to happen :dunno:. Probably just as well as there was 6" of water down there when I opened up the trap door :facepalm: Looks like the water table level is just beneath our floorboards now with the constant rain :mad:

10. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Perfect. :facepalm:

Lancpudn likes this.
  11. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

I moved a heap of solid bricks and stacked them yesterday morning, then carted 2 barrows of heavy firewood across to the house, finally putting out both rubbish bins by carting them 80 metres up to the gate.

I then proceeded to sit on my bum for the rest of the day!

Taking my mate Tony in to have a look at SIL Grant’s factory he is setting set up for all things marine. Paynesville is the biggest recreational boating area in Australia and there is no marine fabrication available here.

Grant & Kell are refitting a bus for an extended holiday down the track and I’m looking forward to seeing some of Grant’s innovation.

This arvo is my second Covid shot...Yay!

Lancpudn likes this.
  12. Lancpudn

Still no wiser as to what's happening about the underfloor insulation job :dunno:Cant get a straight answer out of them whether the jobs even viable with water under there although it has drained away a little this morning.

13. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Back to back, that's a fact Jacque.

Lancpudn likes this.
  14. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Can you bail some into a bucket and reduce the level to something manageable Ian?

15. Lancpudn

Managed to get in touch with them yesterday afternoon & the job has been rescheduled for this afternoon, Hopefully everything goes OK.

I did a bit of harvesting yesterday & picked some fresh potatoes, Celery & turnips.

[​IMG]

When I turned on my desktop this morning it said there's a new Linux OS (Uma 20.2 LTS) available, It took eight minutes from start to finish to download & install, Much less time & hassle than Windows. :yesway:

Paruwi and Digger like this.
  16. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Nice job Cobber! I have plans myself.

Lancpudn likes this.
  17. Lancpudn

Well the insulation team turned up yesterday afternoon, took one look down there saw the water & promptly left. :frown:

18. soulman969

soulman969 Well-Known Member

Finally returned from my all too brief vacation trip back to Wisconsin and finally getting caught up enough to begin posting again.

My 96 year old Pop looks pretty good and the pacemaker they installed has helped him a great deal. Despite that and his still having all of his mental faculties I can see him sliding a bit more from where he was during my last visit in the fall of 2020. COVID kept me away last year.

He nods off during the morning hours more often now but still enjoys his afternoon card games and the daily happy hour from 4-5 PM he has with his friends and neighbors. And he still enjoys dinners twice a week with his lady friend. She's 93 and can still cook up a storm.

But the die has been cast. I will move back later this year so that I'm close enough to help out doing his shopping and take him to periodic medical appointments lifting that load from my sister and brother in law who live nearby and have been "on call" for so many years.

It was miserably humid while I was back there and I'll have to get used to that again. Thank God for the A/C in my car and any place I find to live will also need A/C. I'm talking temps in the 80Fs with RH to match if not higher. IIRC one day it hit 97% just before a rain.

But we also had a nice Father's Day get together with my two older daughters and my 17 year old grandson whose now topping out at close to 6'2" and broadcasting live streams for the local indoor football team and the amateur baseball team as well as one of the local HS where he'll do their football games this fall. Same HS his Mom and Aunt attended.

He's shooting for a career in sports management following graduation next spring and will probably attend the U of Wisconsin initially but may eventually end up at Indiana University to complete his major. U of W doesn't have a sports management program. He's one very bright, talented, and impressive young man and I'm very proud of him.

Other than all of this life goes on each day pretty much as it always does. I put on roughly 2800 miles driving spread over two weeks with my little 2007 Toyota averaging 33-35 mpg along the way. With gas prices over $3 per gallon most places I can't be too unhappy with that or how well the car handled and soldiers on despite it's age. 138,000 + miles now.

Wish I could say the same for my IT and communication devices.

Earlier this spring my old Kyocera Flip Phone needed a new battery which would have run as much as I paid for the phone 10 years ago. So it was finally laid to rest and replaced by a new Android model Motorola G Power that was surprisingly inexpensive ($125) vs what my kids paid for the Apple iPhones. It only took me 3 weeks to learn how to use it :facepalm:. LOL

Well, at least my kids can't laugh at me any longer. The old phone worked fine for my purposes but to them technologically it was like building a road with a wheel barrow and a shovel. :rofl:

Then, while I was in the middle of my travels my laptop bit the dust. It simply failed to boot up one morning the most likely cause being the mother board which I did replace once already about 5 years so. I've had the old girl since 2010 as I recall and it has far more mileage on it than my car. :D

I'd already worn holes through the space bar and two of the most oft used vowels and began using a detached keyboard two years ago. It did a yeoman's job for many years but sadly it was time to say good bye to it as well. So today I replaced it with a new laptop I'm enjoying far more (much faster) and I'm now able to post again.

Luckily my new phone allowed me to access the web and my emails in the interim but for me it's far too inefficient to post with or send long emails or text messages. However I do enjoy the way it can sometimes anticipate what I might type next and gives me that option and it's large enough to watch videos on as well.

So my personal communication devices are now pretty much state of the art again but I must admit it took a major chunk out of my gear reserves so no more new gear for awhile. In fact, in anticipation of the move I may even decide to sell some stuff but man, what to sell would be a really tough decision. I'm 95% finished with where I want to be.

Well, that's about it. Having not posted in several weeks I figured I'd just do one lengthy post and bring it all up to date plus I'm breaking in my new laptop and it's actually quite nice to not be using my old "jerry rigged" war horse any longer. Now, if this one lasts 10-11 years it may even outlive me. :ohno: :rofl:

Good to be back. :D

Lancpudn, Raiyn, Paruwi and 1 other person like this.
  19. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

We were discussing what we would do yesterday when SIL Roz rang up and invited us to lunch at a restaurant in town. It was nice food though a little noisy there for my tastes.

Paruwi likes this.
  20. Lancpudn

Great post Soulman :cool: Glad to see your Dad is doing OK & enjoying life with his friends, Blimey $3/gallon! The price of petrol has shot up here and is at a eight year high, Our local BP petrol station yesterday petrol is £5.85/UK gallon = $8.14 :wow:Daylight robbery & I only need to buy the stuff for my petrol lawnmower these days.

I have the same Motorola g8 mobile phone :thumb: I paid roughly the same price here £99, Very good quality phone for the price, Still some things I don't know how to do on it yet though :rolleyes: but it's perfect for what I need it for.

I know what you mean about it being hard what to let go gear wise, I sold most of my decent guitars to fund a better spec desktop PC that I use for train simulation games, LOL I aim for the same life span on computers, I bought some old HP XW4600 workstations off ebay from an office sale, Big ol bullet proof tanks & seem to run forever with zero problems, I just bought some SSD's & installed Linux on them & they've run great since I bought them around seven years ago. :yesway:

Done very little outside over the last few days because of the wet weather except for slug/snail hunting :mad: They've really come out in numbers with this wet Summer weather.

soulman969 likes this.