Where’s Lancpudin?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Digger, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Back to moving bricks again yesterday....crikey there are a lot of them. At least one more session to finish them off, maybe 2 depending on my back.

For a change I’ll move firewood today and maybe bricks again tomorrow?

soulman969 likes this.
  2. soulman969

soulman969 Well-Known Member

Thanks Ian. My goal is to keep Dad in his place and out of an assisted living facility where he does not want to be. Between the help the VA provides each week and a family member (me in this case) to handle medical appointments, shopping, banking, and a few other weekly tasks that shouldn't be hard to do for now. My role is simply to do what my sister and brother in law have been tasked with for so long. Now it's my turn to relieve them.

We "Yanks" have always been spoiled as far as fuel prices go. Last summer with COVID in full bloom prices hovered around $2 per gallon and even less some weeks. The supermarket where I shop gives bonus points based on dollars spent so very often I'll have a $.20-$.30 cent per gallon discount to further reduce my cost. But this summer we're a full dollar higher and more per gallon so my fuel costs for the round trip were about $100 more this year.

That Moto G phone is a great value but it's also large, heavy, and much less portable than my old flip phone though given it's size and weight it's not likely I'll ever lose it. Being pretty much the size of a small handgun I know when it's in my pocket or not....LOL. I could also do without many of the apps they stick on there but I do admit that it did come in handy when my laptop failed. As you know as well it can function like a mini-computer when needed.

Despite the usefulness of my phone in a pinch I can't function without a full size laptop so on Friday it was off to buy a new one which I was able to do for just under $500, so about what an import guitar would run. It's much faster than my old one thanks to a much newer quad core i5/3.6 GHz processor and a much nicer viewing screen. I don't do any gaming or have a need for better graphics than this one offers but the touch screen is a nice feature.

As far as the gear goes I believe I'll begin with some pedals and other bric a brac I'm not using. It's all stuff that could be easily replaced later if I choose to. It would be much harder to do that with my guitars, basses, and amps but there may be one or two I'd be able to replace easily enough if I let them go. If I plan to sell some things now would seem to be the right time to do it. Used gear prices have sky rocketed.

Overall I'm just pleased to report that Dad and the rest of my family are all doing well at the moment so there's no need to rush my move. I can lay out my plans over the next month or so then build up a "war chest" for moving costs and assemble my "stuff" ahead of time. The harder part will be saying a few good byes to those I won't be seeing again for quite awhile if ever. Even though I plan to move back eventually it won't be to Denver again.

But for now it's just nice to be back home and settling into my routines again while I create time and space to workout my move one day at a time.

Paruwi, Digger and Lancpudn like this.
  3. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

I decided to give my back a rest today and cart wood instead of bricks and so that was my first job.

Despite saying I wasn’t going to, I carted more bricks than I had before and pretty much finished that big job. Still time before lunch so I picked up a mess dry of branches and took them to the shed for processing into 6" to 8” pieces of intermediate kindling for the fire. Almost a tractor bucket load!
    [​IMG]
    Very happy with my morning overall.

4. Lancpudn

Lancpudn Well-Known Member

You could make a fortune selling firewood over here mate, Lots of people are complaining the price of the stuff has risen sharply because of new moisture content rules that came into effect at the beginning of the year. :shock:

Grass cutting duties for me today.:yesway:

Paruwi, soulman969 and Digger like this.
  5. soulman969

Hump Day and a good day to get started on mapping out all of the layers for a planned move. The more I think about it and all of what's gonna go into a move of a thousand miles the more I realize this is not exactly what I'd planned for this far along life's path.

I'm now more than twice the age I was when I moved to Colorado but at least all of those Amazon boxes I've been storing will get some use. It's a good thing there's no real rush to do it since remaining productive throughout the planning phase is also a must.

Had a friend stop over yesterday to help me transfer all of the files from the hard drive on my old laptop over to the one on my new one. Took about an hour total and saved me the $100 the computer shop I bought the new one from would have charged to do it.

I will admit that all of this years upgrades to my personal communications devices (new Android Phone, new and much faster Laptop) are worth the money spent. The phone is virtually a mini computer and now I'm no longer running a 10 year old laptop held together with chewing gum and bailing wire.....LOL.

Today I will make an initial list of some supplemental gear to list for sale.

Paruwi likes this.
  6. soulman969

Digger there are days I get back aches just from reading your posts.....ouch. :D

Paruwi likes this.
  7. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Big day yesterday as my lovely sister in law needs firewood. I spent much of the day transferring very big bits of wood by tractor to the spitter and turning it into useful firewood. Heavy, dirty work (carbon encrusted) but I have a trailer load of approximately 1 cubic metric tonne ready for delivery.

Sore back, sore hands and even my hernias were saying, enough is enough...Grin~

I’ll take it and stack it in her garage tomorrow while she is out and she should be warm for a few more weeks.

You’ve gotta look after family don’t you!

Lancpudn, soulman969 and Paruwi like this.
  8. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Indeed.

Digger likes this.
  9. Lancpudn

A bumper bucket of new potatoes (Pentland Crown) harvested this morning :thumb:

[​IMG]

soulman969 and Paruwi like this.
  10. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Nice lot of spuds there mate!

Lancpudn likes this.
  11. Lancpudn

I had to get the Rover out of the garage yesterday so gave it a wash & brush up. :thumb:

[​IMG]

Paruwi and soulman969 like this.
  12. soulman969

Mmmmm.....taters. :drool:

Lancpudn likes this.
  13. Lancpudn

We had an interesting chap at our house yesterday who came to do the measuring up for new windows, We're finally getting the old hardwood single glazed windows replaced with UPVC double glazed windows:applause: He saw my guitars & said he's played in bands since his school days & gigged at some really great venues, He was just a bit younger than me & we talked guitar for ages:yesway:

We had those hardwood windows fitted when we moved into this house in 1985 & they're now worse for wear with the wet climate here, I'm surprised they've lasted this long to be honest.

soulman969 and Paruwi like this.
  14. soulman969

That's an interesting story and in my case also somewhat ironic since just last week I spoke with the lead guitarist from our old HS rock band whom I'd hadn't spoken with in about 50 years.

It was interesting catching up and also finding he's had a band that opened for some of the same recording acts from Colorado I've gotten to know over the years. It really is a small world.

We made plans to get together and do some jamming next time I'm back in Wisconsin.

I think you'll really appreciate those new windows. Those on our building were replaced about 4 years ago and it's made a huge difference in the winters. I'm on the north side of the building and my desk sits right next to the windows.

15. soulman969

Wish I could shake off this post COVID fatigue syndrome for good. I have a ton of stuff to get done today after yesterday when that bastard kinda wiped me out again.

In addition to replacing my laptop I also replaced my printer which was also about ten years old and having inherited another two from neighbors moving out I now have three to take somewhere to be recycled. I think one of the big box stores offers a recycling drop off site but I'll need to make a call to be certain.

Then it's on to some mid month banking stuff. Contemplating making some changes to streamline things a bit more to make monthly bill paying more efficient and consolidating a few debts by moving them to an interest free account. I love using OPM when it's free so I can make a profit not them.

But then that's how all those sneaky gear dealers feed our GAS with their interest free payment plans. I always seem to have a few hundred dollars owed to them with very small monthly payments but they're always paid off ahead of time to avoid any retroactive interest.

Then it's hit the supermarket later on to restock the larder and probably some laundry later tonight to avoid any crowds in our laundry room as well. The place needs some cleaning and TLC as well but that may wait 'til tomorrow unless I find some unused energy later today.

Hope you all enjoy your weekend. :cheers:

Lancpudn and Paruwi like this.
  16. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Having a few quiet days of lockdown and am already bored with it so it’s off to the paddocks today I think.

soulman969 likes this.
  17. soulman969

Got all of my to do list done including my shopping. Dropping off the printers tomorrow and some of the banking will have to wait 'til Monday. Glad I waited 'til it cooled down. It's a beautiful night with temps in the low 80s and a breeze.

Just spent two hours outdoors chatting with my neighbors while sharing our opinions about the new ownership and property management. I may have mentioned before that they want to do some significant renovations in this building now so they're refusing to renew leases and giving 60 days notice.

They know they can throw a couple thousand dollars or so into some unit upgrades ask at least $300 more per month in rent and most likely get it. So within the next month or two many of our friends will be moving to new locations which is kinda sad to see "the gang" break up but then I'm moving too so we'll connect via email I guess. We have a really great bunch of people here now.

My lease extension runs through June 2022 and that has got to be pissing the new owners off big time. There are only five two bedroom two bath units in this building and they want them vacant asap so they can begin renovations and raise the rent $300-$400 and utilities will be another $80 per month.

I kinda knew this was coming even with the former owner but he would not have raised rents that much or given 60 days notice to vacate. He would have tried to keep his tenants moving them to a renovated unit when one opened up and then renovated theirs. That's the difference between private and corporate owners.

My roommate is ready to move on soon as well so we're thinking we may be able to get them to buy us out of our lease early and we're prepared to listen to any offers they may want to make either in free rent or cash we can each use to fund the costs of our respective moves. I'd love to have them cover my moving cost.

Lancpudn likes this.
  18. Lancpudn

Looks like you've got your work cut out for you with there soulman with all that going on. I'll be on welding duties today that's if the welder is still OK with the dampness in there, I've got it wrapped up tight on it's trolley off the ground so it should be good.
    The bottom hinge on one side of the metal driveway gate broke when I closed it last night.

We had a spate of metal thieves years ago stealing gates so people had to reverse the top hinge to stop them just lifting the gate off it's hinges, Trouble is that puts a lot of strain on the bottom hinge & it's finally broke :frown:

soulman969 likes this.
  19. soulman969

Some of it's just normal stuff I do each week but with a move upcoming that's adding a lot of extra stuff to do Ian. The idea is to gradually empty the place out of anything I don't plan to take with me either selling it, donating it, or taking it to the trash bin or recycling center.

When I moved into this place all that I owned fit into the trunk and backseat of a car.....(sigh). That's no longer the case. Just the music gear alone is about 10x more than I had ten years ago and there is very little of it I would choose to part with especially what cannot be easily replaced.

This place is very small so fortunately there's very little if any furniture that will come with me but of course that will mean acquiring some when I get back to Wisconsin and that can't be done 'til I get there. So other than the gear it's mostly clothing, kitchen stuff, and personal effects.

Since my little 14 year old Toyota is not really much of a load hauler I'm hesitant to tow a trailer 1000 miles behind it so I'll probably need to rent a small van. I need to check on all of that too and the sooner the better so I know what kind of costs I'm gonna be looking at to get from here to there.

I envy you're welding skills. Soldering guitar parts is as far as I can go and even that gets tougher with age. I'm not quite as steady of hand as I once was. :frown:

20. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Rather than reversing the top hinge, why didn't you just weld a heavy plate / bracket over the top?