Where’s Lancpudin?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Digger, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Whenever we get rental cars for trips anymore I pair my phone for music and calls, but I'll run Porta Pow Data Blockers on the USB so the car doesn't try to sync with our phones or use our data to call the mothership. A guy just wants to listen to music and use his own map application without being "integrated" into a car he doesn't own, ya know? If the next 'roo we buy has those features (almost a certainty) I'd be more apt to allow it, but a rental? Nah, I'm using protection, just like my club days.

Lancpudn likes this.
  2. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Not sure what the writing says but this was as close as I could get with a blue car with a condom on it~

soulman969 likes this.
  3. Lancpudn

Lancpudn Well-Known Member

I didn't even know something like those 'Porta Pow Blockers' where a thing:shock: I don't think my mobile phones data would have lasted long in that situation as I'm only on the bare minimum monthly data plan with Virgin Media so thanks for this heads up if I ever have to pair it to the car. :thumb:

More bad news! I rang my younger brother (64) yesterday as I'd not seen him in ages & he tells me he's in a bad way with his stomach. He's been passing blood for ages & not done anything about it :frown:, Turns out he went for scans & camera last Friday because it got so bad & they found a 4" tumour in his colon, He's going to the main hospital in Manchester today to see the consultant as to whether he starts on chemo or surgery.
    I asked him if he'd been doing the bowel cancer screening kits they send everyone in the country automatically when you turn 60 years of age & every two years after & he said no :mad:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    soulman969 likes this.
  4. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

I took SIL Roz that trailer load of firewood today and she has enough now until next season.
    Lifting it into the barrow and wheeling it 50 metres up her drive and stacking it means I’ve lifted 3 tonnes of wood today and now I’m feeling it!

It’s just 8Pm and I’m considering hitting the cot!

soulman969 likes this.
  5. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Yup, they're quite handy for those random USB ports one encounters in public places as well. They're unnecessary if you're using your own adapter (wall / cigarette).

Bad news indeed about your brother, on the bright side, at least you have the NHS. Here, that'd have the added stress of figuring out how to pay for everything.

Hopefully treatment goes well for him.

Lancpudn likes this.
  6. Lancpudn

Thanks Raiyn.

I was meaning to ask you mobile phone savvy people a question, I haven't switched my mobile phone on for about two weeks :shock: & it's charged to 100%, Is that a good thing or bad thing to leave it fully charged for so long?

7. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

Two weeks? I can’t imagine…

It won’t hurt anything to leave it charged, but since it’s never really off - like the clock and similar background things - it may run down eventually even being switched off.

Lancpudn likes this.
  8. soulman969

soulman969 Well-Known Member

The shedding of excess "stuff" continues. Sold a small 75w 1x10 studio bass amp I picked up several years ago to use on acoustic gigs and jams which of course COVID put an end to.

Since then I picked up a 1x12 cab that isn't much larger and I already have two bass heads with far more output that will match with it so the smaller one wouldn't get much use from now on.

Listed it on Craigslist and it sold within 3 days I've been having much success selling there ever since COVID hit and even before. Haven't sold on EBay or Reverb for well over a year.

Lancpudn likes this.
  9. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I usually check my two old phones every few months when I encounter them in the drawer (upgrades were for software / capacity reasons) and often find them around 80%. I top them back off and tuck them away again.
    Having said that, if your phone has been unplugged and fully off for two weeks, it's entirely plausible for the battery to be at 100%. Also, no wonder nobody can bloody reach you! Your phone's off!

Lancpudn likes this.
  10. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

OK Covid travel restrictions lifted and we are heading east to Mallacoota for a few days. Finally!

Paruwi likes this.
  11. Lancpudn

LOL I rarely go out these days or if I do I don't venture far, I bought it for peace of mind if I'm at a public EV charger to charge the car & it doesn't work or some chargers have to operated by an App. Large parts of the charging infrastructure are notoriously fickle here, Tesla's charging infrastructure seems to work perfectly well though.

I think I'll be mopping the garage out today after yesterdays deluge, It was like a monsoon :shock:

12. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Pretty quiet down here at Mallacoota but it’s nice with just the 3 of us here anyway. Unusual to be here without at least some of our mates, but we are happy.

Will we paint the cupboard today or take Bella for a run on the beach....that is the question?

Paruwi and Lancpudn like this.
  13. Lancpudn

All hands to the pumps here after the last few days deluge :shock:, The garage floor is awash again after the monsoon amount of rain :mad: I was mopping it up yesterday evening & even managed to break the mop :facepalm:

The garden is waterlogged & a lot of the tall flowers have been beaten down by the amount of rain we had. :frown: The Hollyhock plants were 3-4 feet tall & had just come into bloom too:mad: Pee'd off to say the least.:frown:

Paruwi likes this.
  14. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Hey, do a guy a favor and send that over to NE Minnesota? I keep hearing about floods in other countries and they're crazy dry.

15. Paruwi

Paruwi Kraut-Rocker

time to plant some rice ?

soulman969 and Digger like this.
  16. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

We might have to cut our time at Mallacoota short! Floor layers are coming unexpectedly to lay vinyl planking over our quarry tiles at home on Tuesday. We weren’t expecting them for another month.

I have a very complicated wiring loom for my stereo which has to be labeled so I can put it back together after they have finished.

Pity because we are enjoying our time together here and appreciating the break.

Paruwi likes this.
  17. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I know that feeling. Thankfully the rear speaker wires run in a track and have connections on either end. If absolutely necessary the entertainment system (tv and all) can be unhooked fairly rapidly and wheeled out of the room with no danger to the components.

Advances in tech have made it so we've been able to simplify the setup a bit as well. These days the most complicated wiring on the thing is the 5.1 speakers. Nearly everything else goes into an HDMI switch that also converts the audio to S/PDIF so my 20 something year old rig can use it. While I think I still have a redundant analog RCA connection for the cable box (though I use optical there too), the only other analog connection on the thing is a 3.5 mm to RCA connection so I can plug my phone into it.

What I'm going to do with a RadioShack® worth of RCA cables now is anyone's guess.

18. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

S
    Speaking of planting rice, how is the flood recovery. going there Peter?

soulman969 likes this.
  19. Paruwi

Paruwi Kraut-Rocker

it will take months to clean all this up - and probably years to get most of the damage rebuilt.
    lots of buildings can't be saved, a few hundred kilometers of railroad needs to be re-done,
    The willingness to donate is huge - and is needed

Digger and soulman969 like this.
  20. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Thats a bugger Peter, it seems we all have our cross to bear one way or another. I’m gad you guys are OK thoygh.

Raiyn, soulman969 and Paruwi like this.