Where’s Lancpudin?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Digger, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Thanks Greg, I prefer Waltzing Matilda to be honest but then I’m a throwback....Grin~

soulman969 likes this.
  2. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

Well, I liked Matilda as well, but fell in love with Australia Fair when I first heard it at the Sydney (?) Olympics, as that beautiful woman just sang it like a patriotic angel. IIRC, that was its first performance as the anthem, but I may be mistaken. And to tell a tale literally out of school, a friend in college had a bong that was very easily tipped over. We called her Waltzing Matilda!

Digger and soulman969 like this.
  3. soulman969

soulman969 Well-Known Member

No gardening to be had here. No land to garden any longer or at least none of my own. There is a community plot a couple of miles from here but you have to get on a waiting list and more than likely wait for someone to move away or die.

So instead I finished up my pedal board project which is always an adventure. Why is it that everything works fine 'til you tear it all apart then reassemble it only to find something isn't connected properly and the process of elimination begins.

There are 13 separate patch cables connecting everything. Six for the effects I run through the effects loop and seven more for those I run into the front end of the amp. Then one more instrument cable from those seven into the amp input itself.

You get it all connected, turn on the amp, flip the standby off, roll up the volume and you hear......nothing. :facepalm: OK, where do I start troubleshooting first. :hmm: I found one patch cable on my clean boost had come loose just enough to break the connection into the amp. No signal, no sound. Now we're all good. :dude:

I guess the positive is everything got cleaned very well and all 1/4" plugs and jacks got cleaned and sprayed with contact cleaner. I even pulled the tubes from the amp head and cleaned the pins and sockets. Altogether it took several hours to do it thoroughly but it's all good as new again and sounds better than ever. :D

Digger likes this.
  4. Lancpudn

Lancpudn Well-Known Member

Yeah good to see that smile on his face again, I've not been keeping up with the F1 much this year & since when did McLaren become a one-two finishing team? :shock:
    The last race I saw they were racing the Williams team down the bottom end of the grid.

Paruwi and soulman969 like this.
  5. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

Yesterday! Their first win since 2012 and first 1-2 since 2010. They’ve been improving over the last two seasons, and Norris is a whiz kid. It was hard to see Ricciardo struggling after moving to McLaren, but I think he’s found his way around the car now.

soulman969 and Lancpudn like this.
  6. Lancpudn

It must have felt good at the McLaren HQ after all those years without winning many races. Yes Norris is a great driver.

Not much on today but no matter what day we pick for laundry day it's always raining :frown: I'm not listening to that infernal tumble drier all day so I think I'll postpone the washing :thumb:

soulman969 and Paruwi like this.
  7. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

I took Bella down to the vet today so she could get her annual inoculations.

Lakes Entrance is a popular tourist town and it was dead! I couldn’t even find somewhere to get lunch. All shut!

Lancpudn, Paruwi and soulman969 like this.
  8. soulman969

I have absolutely nothing to report. Isn't that pathetic? :rofl:

Lancpudn, Paruwi and Raiyn like this.
  9. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Ya know, sometimes that's a blessing.

Lancpudn likes this.
  10. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Dentist today for a filling.

11. Lancpudn

Oh heck! Nothing so torturous for me today :D We got word the window fitters are finally coming tomorrow morning to install the three UPVC windows :dude: We couldn't afford to get the two rear bedroom windows replaced so they will have to wait until I save up some more dosh.
    I need to shift a pile of stuff out of the way & curtain rails so they can get easy access inside & outside.

12. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

It wasn’t so bad and I’m trying to keep all my teeth...well until I don’t need them any more~

I did garden things yesterday.

Gael has decided we should go and spend money this morning.......Shudder~

I said as long as that includes a new TV, then we can consider it. Negotiations are under way~

In the news this morning the govt. has announced that we are going to cancel a new submarine deal with the French who are screwing us around and that is a relief as we were unlikely to have seen any new subs if we’d continued with that contract! Now saying we are in negotiations for Nukes with both Britain and the US. I'm not sure how suitable that technology will be for the shallow littoral waters surrounding this island, but it has to be better than being screwed around and maybe never seeing a new sub.

"se faire bourrer"

soulman969, Lancpudn and Paruwi like this.
  13. Lancpudn

The window fitters were here bright & arrived earlier than planned & my missus still in bed despite me wakening her & taking her breakfast up two hours ago :shock::D Never seen her move so fast when they put the ladders up to the bedroom window :rofl:

14. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Brekkie in bed? Boy is she spoiled or what?

Paruwi likes this.
  15. Lancpudn

Yeah spoiled rotten mate :D, I've done that every day for as long as I can remember except when I was away working.

Digger likes this.
  16. Lancpudn

Well we got two out of the three windows installed yesterday! The other window was a mismeasure and was way to small :frown: The guy who did the measuring was off by a country mile on that window :dunno: They've had to order another window unit which will take another 4-5 weeks :frown:

17. soulman969

I know they've been designing shallow water subs here for the Navy. Here's a paper on one Virginia Tech has been working on that can work in the littorals.

http://www.dept.aoe.vt.edu/~brown/VTShipDesign/2005SSLW4_FinalReport.pdf

The newer Virginia Class subs have also been designed to work more effectively in a littoral environment but the big Ohio Class missile boats are strictly blue water subs made to run quiet and deep.

18. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

Back in the rocket days, I worked with a guy who came to us from the Electric Boat division (where the nuke subs are made) of General Dynamics in Groton, CT. He told me one time as they were matching the nosepiece to the rest of the hull, the nose was 1/2” bigger around than the hull. They spent a week hammering the hull leading edge to fit tight into the nose.

soulman969 likes this.
  19. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

½" eh? When taken in context of how big that nose is it doesn't seem that bad. On the other hand, considering what that sub has do to, in the environments it operates in, one wonders if "wanging" it with a hammer was a sound idea. Probably a lot of sounds.... but I think you catch my drift.

Digger likes this.
  20. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Hmmmm? Hopefully all that submarine stuff will be worked out along the process which will be a long one.

So our spending binge has started! We have a tradie coming this morning to quote on putting up a 3X3 garden shed just across from the house so tools and garden requirements don’t get left on the verandah. That involves a concrete slab of course.We have samples for replacing all the carpet, and next week we are talking to a cabinet maker about new bench tops in the kitchen.

Yesterday I negotiated the price on a new TV and saved $200 on the already discounted price and went in late arvo to pick it up. It’s a Samsung 55” QLED Neo and is sitting in the ute as today’s project. I can’t fit anything bigger in our family room.

Money isn’t doing much in the bank these days so we might as well put a bit of it into home improvements.

Lancpudn, Raiyn, Paruwi and 1 other person like this.