Where’s Lancpudin?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Digger, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Lancpudn

Lancpudn Well-Known Member

It's going to be a bad day today for mind & wallet! :shock: Missus wants me to take her to one of those out of town huge three piece suite warehouses to buy a new suite :frown:
    To be fair the cats have had a field day with this suite we have & it's seen better days so looks like I'll have to bite the bullet & go. :frown:

Paruwi likes this.
  2. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

https://www.amazon.com/101-Uses-Dead-Simon-Bond/dp/0517545160

Paruwi likes this.
  3. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

I spent most of yesterday cleaning up after nesting Swallows have attempted to nest everywhere under our verandah.
    They make such a mess!

After pressure washing I gathered some small branches and hung them around the place to discourage them from taking up residence again. It mucks up their flight patterns apparently. Hope it works because the next thing will be to buy some bird shot!

I might refuel and do some slashing this morning.

Paruwi likes this.
  4. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

Had my granddaughters for a sleepover last night, so I dragged my tired after the market arse out of my chair and made a lasagna. It was well received, as were the cinnamon rolls made this morning. It was a time for Papa to shine!

Lancpudn and Digger like this.
  5. Lancpudn

LOL :rofl: Some days the multiple scratch posts of all shapes & designs around the house just don't cut it so they go to town on the suite :shock::mad:
    We made a swift exit out of that place since I'd have to sell a kidney to buy a half decent three piece suite :wow:

Since when did the eye watering prices for furniture come about? :shock: I know theses retail places didn't make much money with being furloughed for most of last year due to the pandemic but dear me! they seem to have tripled in price.....Back to the drawing board.:thumb:

Digger likes this.
  6. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I couldn't tell you. Since we're cat ranchers ourselves, we typically get our couches from the Salvation Army thrift store (slipcovers are a wonderful thing) and other pieces from IKEA. If I'm honest, they tend to leave those pieces alone and actually use the provided scratching apparatuses.

Other "hard" pieces like dressers and stuff of that sort are all from the 30's and bought well from an auction house SWMBO and I worked at years ago.

Lancpudn likes this.
  7. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Prices of furniture here are total B/S also, but then we Aussies are used to getting screwed on price. We bought some recliners a while ago and anything made here was off the charts, but Asian stuff just doesn’t last and is poor value.

After the fires Roz had to get all new furniture and working for a couple of church opportunity shops she got the house load free and even delivered. It’s all good quality and looks nice. Furniture is worth nothing second hand and that seems to have no relationship with new prices at all.

Lancpudn likes this.
  8. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

I did a lot of cleaning up on the tractor yesterday and last night contacted a contractor we use, to get him to clean up some areas that are full of downed debris, stumps, branches etc. This bloke could make his Bobcat perform Swan Lake I reckon! The Salvation Army contacted us last night offering a bit of funding for further clean up operations so if we match it, we should be have a useful amount of money to be able to progress things a bit more and save my overworked back a bit in the process.

Money donated by the Australian public and others has been a major part of us being able to continue with pushing forward although it doesn’t cover everything of course and we are still well out of pocket. ( Maybe to the tune of $100k) However we are extremely grateful for the kindness shown to us through these difficult times and Australian generosity is legendary in times like this.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    Raiyn, Lancpudn, Otto99 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

Furniture is shockingly expensive over here, too. I went chair shopping a few months ago, and was appalled at the prices on some seriously ugly ass and uncomfortable chairs. Anything I liked was $2,000 or more. And I wasn’t shopping the high end stuff, just your regular furniture stores.

Lancpudn likes this.
  10. Lancpudn

Yes I'm not going into debt paying through the nose for a new suite I've got other jobs pending that have been waiting on the back burner for a while. I reckon the charity stores/thrift shops will be the way to go, I've noticed some really nice furniture in our local store when I've passed by, I suppose it depends on being in the right place at the right time when something you like comes in.
    The local council will take away your unwanted large house/furniture items for a small charge of 10 quid.

Nothing much doing today as it's chucking it down apart from taking my missus for a hospital appointment at the rheumatoid dept this afternoon.

11. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

There are people here that haunt the charity shops on fresh inventory day to stock their antique stores. As you can imagine, there’s a lot of old southern antiques littering the older homes in Memphis.

Lancpudn likes this.
  12. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

There was something wrong with a shelf support in our wall oven! After Gael went to art lessons yesterday morning I pulled it apart to find that a small weld had broken. I took it up to the shed and got my flash new MIG welder out and popped a bead of weld on securing the thing as it was meant to be. It all went back in the oven as it should do and now the shelves go in and there are no annoying rattles. First use of a very handy tool! I must get a trolley for the welder as it’s almost too heavy for me to move around.

Then I grabbed some tools and started digging holes for some posts so I can make a growing frame for the recently planted raspberry canes. Bloody ground is as hard as heck and it was a matter of crowbarring an inch or two loose and levering it out with a posthole shovel. I have 2 posts in and half way through the third and final post hole. I have to buy timber for cross arms today and some long screws. I also need to get a suitable roll of wire for the canes to grow on.

I’m using some of the verandah posts that were replaced due to fire damage but will paint the whole structure before I put the wire on and it should come up alright. It was hard work swinging a very heavy crowbar and I was aching right up my back to under my shoulders when I called it quits at lunch time. That part is almost finished through.

Later in the day Peter our previously used landscaper called in and looked at the things we want done. That includes supply of a number of Aussie native plants to be planted on the steep bank behind the house, with an emphasis on ground covers, all of which is too hard for Gael now. Possibly 50 to 100 plants involved? Some proper steps for her garden shed and a day and a half of cleaning up the top level (paddock) which remains almost as it was left after the fire. Lots of tree debris needs getting rid of and some “panel beating” of the ground as Peter puts it. I may add another $3k and get him to supply and lay out some gravel around the farm shed and in the lower driveway. Maybe rotary hoe a couple of new gardens?

So it was actually quite a satisfactory day yesterday and some good progress was made. It feels really good when we can move forward a bit!

Lancpudn and Paruwi like this.
  13. Lancpudn

You're a busy man Digger & good to see the welder put to good use. I've been ordering some electrical stuff as I'm going to have a re-jig of the electrics in the garage. I've ordered a 4-way consumer unit, double pole isolator switch, a 1 meter copper earth rod & various cable to upgrade the cable in there. I'll get an electrician in to install a 'Meter tail' from the electric supply so I can have a dedicated electric supply to the garage for the EV.

Blimey! It was a torturous day yesterday! I spent over three hours in waiting rooms wearing a mask at different hospital departments yesterday with the missus rheumatoid appointment, I'd given up the will to live sat there staring at four walls then she says we'll do some shopping on the way back :frown: The only good thing about the supermarket we stopped at on the way back was it had a hairdressers in there so I got an haircut whilst my missus did the shopping :dude::thumb:

Finally some good news regards the double glazed window that was mismeasured, they're coming Thursday afternoon to fit the new one :thumb:

Paruwi and Digger like this.
  14. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

It’s good to have things set up the right way, especially with electrical wiring. I had a 15amp point put in for the welder and now it’s proving handy and a solar panel on the roof for charging batteries and keeping those in the boat topped up was also a good decision. Starting afresh has some advantages!

I’d be happy to have double glazed windows but we couldn’t afford them when building our house. We don’t even have curtains as can’t stand the thought of missing the view out of most windows.

15. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

You have a welder... Make one.

16. Lancpudn

Blimey Raiyn ordered in January? Were they waiting for the timber to grow. :D

17. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

I’ve got things I need to do more than that. Besides the price of steel would likely make it a dearer proposition than the $95 or so that a bought one will cost. The last point I’ll make is that one bead on a rack does not make me proficient with a MIG welder. I’m OK on ARC but this was the first time I’ve used the MIG welder.

18. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Bah! Here I am, trying to live out my welding fantasies vicariously.... SWMBO won't let me have a welding rig. "We live in an 81 year old wood frame house" she says. It's not like I'm gonna run a bead on a wall stud, but whatever.

In fairness, she does tend to hover over a guy when I sear my sous vide with a blowtorch in the garage (usually because it's raining when I cook).

Heck, I don't even have proper room for the machine tools I'd like to have. A guy could get in proper trouble with a CNC mill and a lathe.

Lancpudn and Digger like this.
  19. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

I was thinking about that during the night actually and how lucky I am to have the facilities, the space and the tools that I have. I was wondering what I might be able to have at our next home with a lot less space?

Enjoy it while I can right?

20. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Aye. When I win that lottery, and I've landed in the next spot I'll have the space and resources to remove (my) limbs and appendages at my leisure.

Digger likes this.