Where’s Lancpudin?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Digger, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Yesterday it was a bit too warm for old farts to be swinging a crowbar and I struggled, working on the berry frames. In the end I was sick of shovelling dirt out and enlarging the hole to move the post over a little bit more. In the end I accepted that the middle post was still and inch out but I was done. I never claimed to be a perfectionist! All the poles went in the ground too long so I debated whether cutting them back in situ with a chainsaw was the way to go and eventually used my battery power saw. ITtwas a good choice!

I called it quits at lunchtime.

In the afternoon I cut crossbars (4 x 2 pine) to size and marked them out for drilling and today should get them screwed in place. I still need to drill holes for the wires, but I’ve found that a drill press makes it easy and it’s accurate.

I’m driving Gael into town to do the grocery shopping this morning as the Honda isn’t back yet so if it’s too warm, fitting the cross arms might wait until tomorrow. I don’t want her trying to park my D-Max in the tiny supermarket spaces.

We sat out and enjoyed the sun late afternoon.

Raiyn and Paruwi like this.
  2. Lancpudn

Lancpudn Well-Known Member

That was the one & only reason we bought this old house, It had tons of room to work on cars & I had a double garage built too. The last house we lived in had no off street parking or room for even a shed :shock: so it was a godsend really. :thumb:

The window fitters did a great job yesterday installing the window, We had the old diamond patterned leaded windows in the old frame & what a difference just plain glass makes, It's much brighter in the room now.:yesway:

Paruwi, Digger and Raiyn like this.
  3. Lancpudn

Bugger! well back to the drawing board! I've been growing some "mild" chilli's called 'cherry bombs' in the greenhouse all year which have started to ripen & turn red, I picked a dozen or so golf ball sized chilli's, topped them/deseeded them & steamed them for ten minutes, After they'd softened I stuffed them with mozzarella cheese & baked them in the oven, Now these things are waaaaay down on the scoville scale & supposed to be very mild, Ha! :shock: they near burnt the roof of my mouth off :wow: Mild my arse, it was like chewing on a thermic lance :wow::D I love the smell & taste of chilli's but not the heat:ohno: My stomachs been complaining all night after just one bite :facepalm:

Paruwi and Digger like this.
  4. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I guess we won't be going for curry when I come over, huh?

Lancpudn likes this.
  5. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

I doubt it as his bum will still be stuck to the freezer trying to cool it down....Chuckle~

Raiyn and Lancpudn like this.
  6. Lancpudn

LOL I had high hopes that these chilli's would be just right for me but nothing doing :frown: Daughter came home yesterday saying the Ford Kuga/Escape power steering has gone, the battery is flat and it's making a funny noise :facepalm:

They have an electronic power steering system so I thought flat battery = no power steering so I put the battery charger on it to charge up, What an awkward place the battery is to get at or replace on that car :mad: you'd have to get the air box assembly out, the wiper motor assembly out & the full cowling under the windscreen to lift it out :wow:

The battery charged back up OK but when I started it there was an almighty rattle in the engine bay:wow:turns out the bearing in the alternator has collapsed too :facepalm:

The garage can sort that lot out as my back is not fit enough to bend over that all day.
    We've put her on our car insurance to drive our EV as I'm not getting up at 5:30am to take her the stables to see to her horse then drive her to work & repeat in the evenings :shock:

[​IMG]

I emptied out another tub of potatoes yesterday as we were running low & there was a great crop of taters from this tub, So many they split the tub :shock:

[​IMG]

Digger likes this.
  7. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Woof. That's actually worse than our 98 Monte Carlo. In that case, you'd have to remove a structural brace, the windshield washer bottle, and a fuse box to even see the battery. Since then, that's something we look at when car shopping - easy access to maintenance items. Worst thing about Bloo is the cabin air filter - a guy has to remove the glove box and dink around a bit with some trim panels to get to it. Still easier than the battery on the Monte.
    Well, I suppose that might be the main problem, other than the loose nut behind the steering wheel. That bearing had to have been making it's presence known for a while.

At any rate, it was good of you to lend her the EV.

Lancpudn likes this.
  8. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

How I spent my Friday afternoon.
    20211022_210535.jpg 20211022_211230.jpg

A relatively quick spring reverb build, there wasn't a lot of parts this time as the magic is performed by the Belton BTDR-3H digital reverb unit, (otherwise known as the 10 pin Belton Brick) mounted to the other side of the board. As per usual, I used my own wire and a couple of Pure Tone jacks to personalize it a bit.
    [​IMG]

I needed to swap my November and October projects as the October one is the one missing parts. This thing wasn't even painted on Wednesday. I have a few decal options coming and I'll post a glamour shot later once I decide on which direction to take.

Edit: I also used a Feather Touch footswitch from Love My Switches. The stock ones seem a bit crunchy.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
    Lancpudn and Digger like this.
  9. Lancpudn

Nice job Raiyn :dude: Bugger! I've been asking our daughter to bring some bags of horse manure from the stables for ages to put in the raised beds/greenhouse so it can break down over Winter ready for the next growing season. The first time she uses our squeaky clean car she loads it up with 75ltr bags of horse poop :facepalm: The inside of her Ford kuga is not much different than the floor of her stables :shock:, full of straw, wood shavings & the pedals are covered in mud & dried horse poop :rolleyes: I shouldn't complain I suppose I've got it now.:thumb:

Raiyn likes this.
  10. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

:cheers::laugh2:

Lancpudn likes this.
  11. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Lots going on here ATM! I’m about to finish my berry structure, as in painting it and running wires, after a doctors visit followed by a quick trip into town to pick up some above ground garden frames with the trailer. They have to be put together and filled with earth and then we can plant veggies.

Tomorrow we are off to Sale, an hour up the line with art society members to look at the “Archibald's”, our premium portraiture exhibition. Then having lunch at a very nice restaurant with our mates.

Our landscaper is here “panel beating” the paddock above our top driveway where the shed is which presents too much of a challenge for me these days. He is a Bobcat operator par excellance! I’m probably going to get him to re-gravel one of the driveways and gravel around the farm shed.

I’m out of firewood and need to do a bit of wood splitting also.

I ordered an industrial wet & dry vac yesterday and a trolley for my welder.

Apart from that there’s not much happening~

Paruwi likes this.
  12. Lancpudn

The wet vac machine I got has been a big bonus with sucking up the rain water in the garage, I found another good use for it too! The bird feeders are over a portion of the lawn & lots of seed gets spilt. I have the makings of a wheat & barley field there :shock::D.
    The shallot & onion seeds have already germinated OK but I'm not sure about the garlic cloves I planted, They seemed to sprout & grow immediately but are now wilting & looking rather sad. They were shop bought garlic I use in the kitchen & must have come from warmer climes than Lancashire :facepalm: I need to order some northern hemisphere friendly garlic bulbs & get them in the ground before Winter sets in.

Digger likes this.
  13. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

20211026_223237.jpg
    I had thought the stickers / decals I had bought were clear backed (shopping @ Oh Dark Thirty) but this actually works out pretty well - that and it's the only one of the three that fits...

Lancpudn likes this.
  14. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Doctor gave me a good bollicking for bending over working! Said I’d be in BIG trouble later on in life if I continued to do it!

Nobody has told me that before and it makes me think about the viability of continuing on here. We have new carpets coming and I’m now concerned about being able to move the furniture out. That is my immediate problem. Firewood is another.

I’m not accepting getting old very well and am trying to fight it. Creative thinking is required it seems.

Paruwi likes this.
  15. Lancpudn

I went skip dipping again yesterday and I'm now regretting it! One of our neighbours had a skip delivered & was clearing out his garden, I got eight 2'x2' concrete flags to make a pathway at the side of the greenhouse where it gets muddy & two clean wheelie bins :shock:, One will be used for composting & the other with a busted lid will be cut down by half & used to grow a squash plant in next year :dude:
    My back is really crocked this morning & I cant even bend down to put my socks on. :facepalm:

Paruwi likes this.
  16. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

You guys don't have a messaging system where neighbors can post stuff they're about to shift?
    SWMBO's on this thing called Nextdoor and I swear random stuff keeps appearing because of it.

Might save a guy a skip hire.

17. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

We had a bit of a scare! A woman that Gael was sitting next to at water colour classes posted on FB that she “might” have been exposed to Covid on Wednesday the day she was sitting next to my wife. There was no further explanation and we had to wait until morning as it was late when Gael saw the post.

I said to Gael that there would be no leaving the house other than for tests and that plans for visit up the line to see the portraiture exhibition were off if she may have been exposed. About 8AM we managed to contact Deb and found that her potential exposure was after she left the classes so we were all in the clear. It wasn’t a nice feeling to think we might have been caught up, I have to say.

So as planned we went to the “Archibalds” Australia's premium portraiture contest and exhibition. There were 16 of us from the art society there there and only 3 of us were men! I had lots I’d rather been doing at home but a promise is a promise. We did both enjoy the day and saw some terrific art. There were a number I could have chosen as the best but for once I agreed with the judges and liked this one of a 100 year old gentleman, on the 100th anniversary of the Archibalds in Australia.
    [​IMG]

Our venue for lunch was a short stroll from the gallery and was fantastic!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
    Otto99, Lancpudn and Paruwi like this.
  18. Lancpudn

What a great painting of the elderly gentleman. :cool:

My right knee is the size of a football & sore as hell, lugging those concrete flags didn't help :facepalm: It's shopping day today but I'll have get a home delivery sorted out as both of us are crocked at present.

Paruwi likes this.
  19. Lancpudn

I'm not sure if we have one of those systems local, probably just as well as my missus would never be off it & get a ton of stuff lol.:thumb:

Raiyn likes this.
  20. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

This week we have made huge strides forward! A paddock which was too rough to support machinery has been cleaned up and I’ll be planting grass seed in days! The surrounds of my farm shed has been finally gravelled and part of our lower driveway has been re-gravelled.

Next week we expect to have as many as 100 native plants and shrubs planted on the bank behind the house.

It’s costing an arm and a leg but after almost 2 years it’s great to see some things returning to normal.

Paruwi likes this.