Where’s Lancpudin?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Digger, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Sigh...the frailties of an ageing body! I’m starting to understand why old people grumble so much...Chuckle~

Paruwi and Lancpudn like this.
  2. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Well, if those damn kids would stay off the damn lawn.... :cheers:

To that end, we have a corner lot in what had been a slightly questionable neighborhood and we (on occasion) would find all manner of items you wouldn't want to encounter barefoot or playing in the yard. These days, thankfully, the worst we usually find is a half empty beer can. Gentrification has its perks when you own the house.

Lancpudn and Digger like this.
  3. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

I did a heap of cleaning up after the storms yesterday inc. a full mow. Whipper-snipped around the house, blew off the verandah & tried new vac out by vacuuming the house and parts of the verandah. That was enough for one day. Today wth all that out of the way I can push forward on a couple of projects.

Paruwi likes this.
  4. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

I painted the berry frame yesterday and it took most of the morning as I’d used some of the verandah posts that were dry and cracked from being on fire. I would have cost a heap to buy new timber, that is if you could get it as it’s really scarce here for a variety of reasons.

Paruwi likes this.
  5. Lancpudn

Lancpudn Well-Known Member

Another day of being a couch potato as I'm still crocked & can barely move. :frown:

Paruwi likes this.
  6. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

I strung and finished our berry frame yesterday after a couple of sessions, stopping for a while in the middle because it was too warm. Most of the time was spent untangling the bloody wire as it came off the roll.

Might start another soon for passionfruit.

Today is “Melbourne Cup Day” here, a horse race that we get a public holiday for! The world must laugh at us I suspect.

Lancpudn and Paruwi like this.
  7. Lancpudn

Nah a public holiday for a horse race sounds good to me mate. :thumb: This crocked back is taking some time to heal up so nothing doing again today for me.:frown:

8. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Best to lean off for a while, seems to work for me!

Lancpudn likes this.
  9. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

It's election day in our fair city. We tried to return our mail ballots yesterday but were met with a locked door despite the website (and physical documents) stating that they would be open later. Thankfully SWMBO had no trouble dropping off our ballots this morning.

Lancpudn likes this.
  10. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

I decided to start off slow yesterday and and sighted in a new scope on my Walther air rifle. I set up a target at 40 metres on the wood pile as there are rabbits emerging from that same pile. Now the scope had supposed to be bore sighted but the first group of 3 registered only one hit, low and left on the A4 target. Firing groups of 3 I kept “walking” the aim over and up, finally placing the last group of 3 shots within 1/2” in the bullseye (1”diameter ) at 40 metres or 131 feet.

Good enough for government work! I am required to control vermin on my property so shooting is the most humane way that I’ve found to do it.

I spent the next 90 minutes in the heat swinging a hoe chipping those infernal Scotch Thistles our around the house. I came in hot and bothered and switched the overhead fan onto S instead of W and collapsed in front of the TV.

11. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

That reminds me that Kaye a close friend was pulling out weeds in her garden the other day and felt a pain on her hand and then saw a Tiger snake where she was working.

She applied compression bandage and took herself to casualty at the hospital. She was in for over 10 hours and after antivenin treatment was allowed home. This is the second time she’s been bitten in 2 years.

She adjoins a wetlands that is lousy with Tiger snakes!

Others have died within 30 minutes of a Tiger snake bite. Kaye is a highly experienced senior nurse and of course knows exactly what to do.

That’s life in Oz!

Lancpudn likes this.
  12. Lancpudn

Yikes! scary stuff when you have to watch out for snakes whilst you're gardening.:ohno: Still crocked with this bad back :frown: My elder brother came over to ask me to foot the ladder for him whilst he reattached some cabling next to the bedroom window that had come adrift in the recent high winds, I couldn't even walk over to the house 500 yards away or get into the car to drive over it was that bad yesterday.:frown:

13. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear it’s that bad for you Ian. I bought a couple of Nellie Kelly passionfruit vines today. Still have to make the frames to grow them on though.

Lancpudn likes this.
  14. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

@Digger, I had to look up Tiger snakes. I wasn’t aware of that particular way Oz can kill a person! We only have 4 indigenous venomous snake species* that I’m aware of in the US and three of those models around here, but our property is the right style of trees, shrubs, and ground cover that’s great for one kind and would do for another. Not wet enough for the third, and we’re too far north for coral snakes. At least for now.

*Rattlesnakes, Copperheads, Water Moccasins, and Coral snakes. Did I leave one out?

Lancpudn and Digger like this.
  15. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

That looks about right to me Greg.

We certainly have some very venomous and aggressive snakes here Greg but only 2 or 3 people a year die from their bites. Being Australian means we need to know about our snakes, how to avoid them and what to do if bitten.

Some that do die, but thankfully not very many.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
    Paruwi likes this.
  16. Lancpudn

I'm got a ladder job when my back is fit again! The rain water has been cascading over the guttering at the front of the house and splattering the front door & walls with dirty water :frown: It's north facing which gets no sunshine so gets lots of clumps of moss on the roof tiles that get so big they loss grip & roll down into the gutter, It must be full & the downpipe blocked as well. :frown:

17. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Well, the car's at the shop (SWMBO had incorrectly told me it was last week) to get a new timing belt with the assorted widgets and gubbins, an oil change, and while he's in there with the bumper off; a new windshield washer hose strung. Those last two I could have done myself, but I hadn't received my luxury cardboard ground creeper....

I'm probably going to sequester myself in the clean shop and build that pedal that had been missing pieces. Gives me an excuse to try out my new light and solder reel.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
    Lancpudn likes this.
  18. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Speaking of timing chains, our Honda has been with our mechanic for 3 weeks and he still can’t tell me when it will be ready. We might be looking for someone new to do our mechanical work.

When we put a new timing chain and followers in 2 years ago we were told it would see the life of the vehicle out!

It’s hard to manage with only one car out here.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
  19. soulman969

soulman969 Well-Known Member

Finally checking back in after nearly 3 weeks of downtime. Long story but the short story version is after one week of dealing with my autumn curse of the mood swing and several very dark days requiring much sleep and lowered stress I awoke just in time to experience the grand daddy of all electrical problems.

While doing some construction on the ground floor the workers hit my power feed with a jackhammer. That tripped a master breaker to my place which when reset may have created a voltage surge. It didn't impact any of my gear or my laptop since everything I run is connected to high grade surge protectors.

But it did do a number on several power outlets and the commons within the place. Switches in the master bedroom were operating a non-switched outlet in the den which otherwise had no current at all. Every outlet in the den was out which required rerouting enough power from the kitchen for emergencies.

It was like living in the Addams Family house.

On top of that our building engineer was on vacation and no other electricians were available so it took roughly two weeks and a fair amount of rewiring of 3 different circuits to fully restore the power earlier this week. Then it was moving furniture and reassembling all of the previous connections and routing.

It was a major league headache and it will take another week just to get caught up again. So that's where I've been off to and what I've been dealing with for the past 3 weeks. Now I have to make certain nothing of value was damaged which means checking out everything step by step taking up even more time.

There's so much construction going on right now I'll be shocked if we don't run into even more issues before I finally move on. Corporate owners don't care much for that little "quiet enjoyment" clause. They just want to renovate so they can jack up the rents and squeeze as much cash flow out of here as they can.

Raiyn and Lancpudn like this.
  20. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

It sounds like your contractors got off light and not needing to bury one of their comrades this week, I’m sorry to hear about all the problems it caused.

Just when things appear to be going right something like this will come and bite you on the bum!

I know something about depression and I’m sorry to hear it affects you too. Some days that black dog starts nipping at your heels and for me meditation is the only answer.

Good luck with getting things sorted out again.

soulman969 likes this.