Where’s Lancpudin?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Digger, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Lancpudn

Lancpudn Well-Known Member

Blimey! Soulmann what a bummer that happened & took so long to rectify, you certainly didn't need that sort of hassle when you're feeling depressed, Good to see you back on the forum Sir.:thumb:

My back seems a tad better this morning as I've managed to put my socks on for the first time in ages :dude: I made a batch of roasted squash soup yesterday with one of those Japanese uchiki kuri squashes I grew & boy is it good, I'll definitely be growing more of them next season as they're delicious. :drool:

[​IMG]

soulman969 likes this.
  2. soulman969

soulman969 Well-Known Member

Thanks Rob. My head is back to normal again. I was just a bit surprised this one hung on a little longer than usual.

As for the contractors crew what they were working on was even more shocking.

They were uncovering and rerouting a drain line that was adjacent to the spot where the main power feed for six different units runs into the building. Who builds a building with a drain line only inches away from a main power junction then buries them in concrete?

Looking at some of the arcing and burned or melted shielding in those outlets it's surprising nothing ignited before I shut all the breakers down.

3. soulman969

It was kind of a double whammy Ian but once I realized it was gonna take awhile to rectify I just kind of shut down doing much of anything but the "have to" stuff.

Lancpudn likes this.
  4. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

Happy Guy Fawkes Day, @Lancpudn! To paraphrase the Simpson’s, celebrate your country’s holiday by going out and blowing up a small part of it!

soulman969 and Lancpudn like this.
  5. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

No likes for squash/pumpkin soup I’m sorry! I hate the stuff!

Paruwi and Lancpudn like this.
  6. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well, the car's back and nothing has been done. It seems that our mechanic decided to post our car on an outdoor lift rather than on of his interior ones. Then it rained - only stopping at 4pm when his shop closed.
    Now, we get to wait another couple weeks for schedules to align again. I'm displeased with this situation.
    Well, the USB powered ring light did exactly what I needed it to do, throw enough light to work and not create a disruptive hot spot.
    [​IMG]
    It's not huge, I'd imagine the ring is about the size of a coffee cup, but I'm pleased with it.

The solder reel was equally well received. I'd been using the little mini reels that were light enough to unspool on their own for so long I'd forgotten what a minor P.I.T.A. dealing with a larger spool was.
    [​IMG]

Blah blah blah, New pedal!
    1636139034673.jpg
    It's a Harmonic Tremolo.
    Harmonic Tremolo is a unique effect found only on certain brown faceplate era Fender amps. It works by splitting your signal into a high pass filter and low pass filter, panning between the two filters, and then mixing the two signals back together into a mono signal. The resulting effect lies somewhere between a tremolo and phase shifter.

It is an almost literal solid state translation of the harmonic tremolo circuit found in the Fender 6G4-A, 6G5-A, 6G7-A, 6G12-A, and 6G13-A .
    This is the one that was delayed due to missing parts.
    1636138956903.jpg
    1636140151275.jpg
    I call it a Root Beer Float because I ordered it on our MN trip (which had a lot of Root Beer related activities) and I couldn't resist painting it on an (empty) tallboy of Minnesota brewed root beer.
    1636140159763.jpg

Lancpudn likes this.
  7. Lancpudn

LOL It was like WWIII here last night & it'll be more of the same tonight when most Bonfires will be lit. Some of those big fireworks literally rattled the windows, Our three cats aren't impressed with Guy Fawkes day.

Paruwi and soulman969 like this.
  8. Lancpudn

Hey nice job on the pedal Raiyn :dude: You're making some top quality gear there.

Raiyn likes this.
  9. Lancpudn

Those Japanese squashes are really sweet when ripe, They're a bit like a sweet potato taste, I was going to put some in plastic containers for the freezer but it's almost gone.
    Got lots of blue tits on the bird feeders this morning which is a nice change from the humble sparrows.

soulman969 likes this.
  10. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Chuckle...it must be getting colder if all your tits are turning blue~

Lancpudn, Paruwi and soulman969 like this.
  11. soulman969

Ah.....it's Fawkes Hawking Day in the empire is it? Happy GFD!!! :cheers:

Lancpudn likes this.
  12. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Thank you. It's a fun little copium hobby. Certainly cheaper than buying guitars and modding them*.

*He says whilst gathering parts for a mod build.

Lancpudn likes this.
  13. Lancpudn

It was like Ack-ack fire all last night, there wasn't a piece of sky that wasn't lit up with fireworks explosions. Then there's always that one guy that carries this on til gone 03:00am :mad:

14. soulman969

Much like our 4th of July eh? And yes, there's always at least one idiot who likes to pull an all nighter and one more whose out there shooting off a pistol into the air oblivious to Newton's Law that what goes up must come down.....but where? :facepalm:

Lancpudn likes this.
  15. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Around here, the cops find an overpass to "stage" under for New Year's at least for a bit around midnight.

Lancpudn likes this.
  16. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Gael has her AGM for the art society today and will no doubt be elected president for the 8th or 9th year, however this will be the last year she stands. Her decision.

What we do today (Bella & I) is yet to be decided but all prospects involve lifting heavy stuff or digging holes and it’s hard to get exited about pain.

Our daughter and granddaughter paid a visit yesterday and it’s been a while since we've seen GD Kaela due to Covid.
    Kaela gave us her logon details for Stan the streaming service so Gael can get the next series of a show she loves. We have Netflix already and I haven’t set the TV up with Stan yet, though Gael has already put it on her iPad. I’m yet to figure out the Samsung Neo remote as we mostly use the Foxtel remote. Thats a project for this afternoon however.

Lancpudn, soulman969 and Paruwi like this.
  17. soulman969

At long last the place has finally been mostly reassembled following the power snafu. All outlets and switches work as designed and there appears to have been no damage sustained by any gear or other electronic devices.

It did however finally lead me to whatever has been bugging my tube amp and the cause behind the power loss where suddenly the volume would just bleed away to almost nothing. Bad 12AT7 driver tube in the Phase Inverter.

This time it had completely failed so the amp was DOA from the get go. Took a quick look inside at the chassis and all of the glass was lit up but that one. Had to order a 12AT7 replacement but I had other 12ax7 and 5751 tubes as spares I could use to get it working again. If I was gonna lose one I'm glad it was that one and not the ANOS RCA Blackplate in V1 as I initially thought it might have been.

Most of the bills are caught up and about half my email correspondence and by tomorrow I'll be back in operation again as far as writing and researching online so all things considered not too bad for having roughly 3 weeks of down time. Hoping for a more productive week coming up.

Paruwi, Digger and Lancpudn like this.
  18. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

I have to head in and pick up my air rifle first thing as the compressed air cylinder was leaking.

It hasn’t been used apart from sighting optics in so that shouldn’t be the case. Since the fire there has been little rabbit activity so I’ve had no reason to use it.

In the last few weeks there is a new brood of bunnies in and around the wood pile and it’s time I did something about that.

19. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Fix didn’t work on the Walther and so it’s got to be sent back to the wholesaler...bugger it!
    I bought a couple of boxes of .22 LR HP subsonics to carry me over while the air rifle is away. I can’t be chucking high velocity stuff around on a small acreage.

Landscaper came late arvo and put in a few hours “panel beating” a few spots where machinery had cut up the ground during fire recovery. May as well use him while he’s here for other things! It's only money!

soulman969 and Paruwi like this.
  20. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Despite my air gun leaking air I charged it and shot my first rabbit for 2 years yesterday. Gonna have another try in a few minutes and then drop it in to the dealer when I’m in town later.

I dug some holes and planted a couple of passionfruit vines yesterday and it was all crowbar work! I found it hard going! Then I took a bucket and shovel and did a paddock walk picking up dry cow poo. (Yep I’m officially now a sh!t shoveler.) A layer of poo in the bottom a layer of dirt, the plant, some much and another layer of poo should see them leap out of the ground!

Speaking of planting, Peter our landscaper came mid afternoon and planted 50 or so plants on the bank behind the house. Coming back to plant more later and we have to acquire some more euc. mulch for him as well as another 30 native plants.

I carted firewood over, moved a heap of it to clear tractor access and and took the rubbish up to the road in the rain for collection.

Quite a productive day all in all.

I’m taking the D-Max in for a small job this morning, dropping the gun in for repair and picking up a new small wheelbarrow for Gael. See how it goes after that.