Where’s Lancpudin?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Digger, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I'm going to start my 24 hour sous vide turkey cook soon.
    For those so inclined.
    • Break down bird into white and dark meat - reserve carcass (use it for gravy). I "cheat" and use pre-packaged turkey.
    • Weigh bird I just read the labels.
    • Mix a 5:2 salt to sugar dry brine that is 1%-1.5% the weight of the bird
    • Quickly sear bird pieces I like a screaming hot cast iron pan for this. I changed my mind, I'd rather use my blow torch with the Searzall attachment.
    • Rub bird down with dry brine and vacuum seal white and dark meat separately I also add fresh sage leaves to the "meat" side of the pieces.
    • Set water bath to 150 F- add dark meat- cook for 12 hours
    • Drop temp to 131 F- add white meat- cook for an additional 12 hours I go a bit hotter than this, but YMMV.
    • Remove bags, pat bird dry, finish however you desire (ripping hot pan, screaming hot oven, deep fry, etc.). Another visit to Mr. Hot Pan. GET THE TORCH!

I did this last year, and survived. ;)
    1637785732481.jpg

I shared a bit with the cats and they went absolutely bananas for the stuff. I also learned last year that Luci,
    1635532043587.jpg
    despite her barbarian manner, prefers white meat to dark. The boys, on the other hand, will take anything.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021 at 2:24 PM
    Lancpudn likes this.
  2. soulman969

soulman969 Well-Known Member

What a fantastic gift!

We sure could use some of your Aussie kindness and thoughtfulness for others here in the US right now. Instead we seem to have little but an I got mine so the hell with you and yours attitude. Greed is suffocating us.

Lancpudn and Digger like this.
  3. soulman969

:wow: At least next time you get those floods you'll be well equipped to build an ark.

Lancpudn, Digger and Paruwi like this.
  4. soulman969

Are you not aware that companies who sell products that require assembly always provide at least one spare part that has no purpose just to drive us crazy? :dunno::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Digger and Lancpudn like this.
  5. soulman969

Looks like I should plan a raid on Peter's tool shed. We can call it robbing Peter to pay Paul.....:facepalm:. :rofl::rofl:

Lancpudn and Paruwi like this.
  6. soulman969

Oh I hear ya' my brother. I've found that the size of my gear collection has grown in inverse proportion to my lack of need to no longer shop in jewelry stores prior to Christmas, Birthdays, or Anniversaries.

I've gone through so many rechargeable versions in my life (including Wahl models) that more recently I've stuck with an older corded model that's seen better days as well. Let me know which model you settled on that you believe offers good value. That'll be my Christmas present to me.

Lancpudn and Digger like this.
  7. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

The people of Australia seem to be very generous in nature as instanced by responses to a range of emergencies over the years. Even the traders in town refused payment knowing we’d been all but wiped out and that almost brought me to tears on least one occasion. The as I was passing the park there was a food caravan set up offering free fish and chip meals to local residents and that did it, I welled up!

On a couple of occasions we had dozens of people working here to help start our recovery...Bloody magnificent all of them!

Raiyn, Lancpudn and soulman969 like this.
  8. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Chuckle...and we’ve got plenty of wood, though it’s all a bit charred~

Lancpudn, Paruwi and soulman969 like this.
  9. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

I bought a Wahl a few months ago which has an about a 1 3/4" wide cutter and that does my beard really well. The one i’ve ordered is about 1” across to get into the nooks and crannies underneath my mouth and to trim my mo. I’ll let you know if I’m happy with it. Maybe not cheap at $160 but then I’ve done cheap and wasted my money.

Raiyn, Lancpudn and soulman969 like this.
  10. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Nothing much I could do today with this weather so I cleaned my shed and put away tools and generally tidied. New vac was good and I even cleaned the dunny. Usually my shed is the first place my sons want to look at and they will be here next week. (“What new stuff has the old man got now?”)

Paruwi and soulman969 like this.
  11. Lancpudn

Lancpudn Well-Known Member

Need to go into town later today on the train, It's less of a walk from the train station than the car parks to where I need to be so I've got my knee strapped up with one of those velcro brace doodahs.

Paruwi and soulman969 like this.
  12. soulman969

Thought I might have had to blow off Thanksgiving Dinner with my daughters in-laws due to what I assume may have been a bad case of gout. I was in utter agony all of last night

The big toe on my left foot and the pad beneath it were so inflamed I could barely touch them. Even contact with the blanket I had over me as I tried to fall asleep cause some pain.

I was gobbling up 800mgs of pain reliever and slathering my foot with a topical pain reliever half the night before finally falling asleep sometime after daybreak thanks to some edible THC.

It's better this AM and I'm finally able to get a shoe on my foot again so it's beginning to look like I won't miss a turkey dinner and my two granddaughters after all.

How could a grandpa not want to make every attempt to spend time with these two little charmers. Rylan turns 4 on Sunday so it will be a very special weekend all around.

sister2.jpg

Lancpudn, Raiyn, Paruwi and 1 other person like this.
  13. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I have determined that I prefer my blowtorch with a Searzall attachment to the hot cast iron method. Technically, I combined the methods and torched the bird in the hot pan after I grew frustrated with the pan grabbing hold of the skin. The second sear will be the torch in the unheated pan.

Lancpudn likes this.
  14. Lancpudn

What a great picture of your grand daughters :thumb: Ouch! Gout sounds really painful you have my sympathy, I've been slathering my knee with Voltarol Gel to ease the pain. It wasn't a pain free trip out yesterday :frown: I bought 2x5kg bags of wild bird seed because it was much cheaper than I can get it locally,
    Never realising I'm not in the car & have to carry these lot home with some other stuff :facepalm: To top it off the handle snapped on the carrier bag as I left the store :rolleyes: so I had to go back in the store & I ended up buying a back pack to put all the stuff in.
    The troubles didn't stop there! Since the pandemic the train time tables have been changed a lot, Instead of every 30 minutes they're now every 90 minutes :frown: and the destinations divided by both railway stations in Wigan, It was too cold to wait 90 minutes so I had to change tack. You can see the other station they put my train on from the usual station but it was too much of a trek with this dodgy knee.

I caught the next train (10 min wait) to another town a further 20 miles away where I knew the bus station was right next door to the railway station & I could catch a bus that stopped 5 minutes away from my house :dude:

I need to get some garden stuff put away as there is a weather warning out for strong winds & stormy weather later today :ohno: apart from that I shall have my feet up in front of the fire.:thumb:

soulman969 likes this.
  15. Lancpudn

What a sweetie Luci is :) I'm not a lover of white meat & much prefer the dark meat, I tried some minced turkey/ ground turkey in a chilli con carne the other day & it was very nice & lean.

Raiyn, Paruwi and soulman969 like this.
  16. soulman969

Wow. What a travel ordeal especially having to plot out ways to make connections without having to wait for 90 minutes in cold damp weather. I'm happy to avoid the buses and trains these days as my knee and my back have gotten much worse over the past 10 years. I think it's time for an overhaul. :hmm:

Thank you for the compliment on my granddaughters. They are the loves of my life. Both were at the family dinner my daughters in-laws hosted yesterday and it was a phenomenal spread shared with some very nice folks. We all sat at a very long table that would have reminded you of a scene from Harry Potter with just about as much food as well. Only it didn't just magically appear. :dunno:

When I arrived Rylan was playing in the yard with her cousin Julian but as soon as she saw me she took time out to come over and give me a hug. She's been very affectionate lately. Rory was her usual self. She got passed around from one of us to another without a care in the world. Strangers do not intimidate her even at her young age. I guess she gets that from me or so I've been told.

Sunday is Rylan's 4th birthday so I get to double dip on some grandpa/granddaughter love this weekend. She's getting a Barbie Doll for her birthday gift.

Lancpudn, Raiyn, Paruwi and 1 other person like this.
  17. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

I’ve only had Turkey a few times really as we have no thanksgiving custom here. To be honest I prefer chicken.

Hoping to get some work done outside today as the rain seems to have finally gone away for now.

soulman969 and Paruwi like this.
  18. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

She is a sweet cat, but when she goes on a tear - look out. I wanted to name her Xena (portrayed by Lucy Lawless)
    [​IMG]
    due to her rough and tumble ways with the boys and her fierce attitude with "prey" (toys, bugs etc.), but SWMBO thought it was "a bit much" so we compromised.
    SWMBO tends to hit the sack before I do and Luci, more often than not, goes in with her. Luci will sit up and stare at the door / hall until I tuck both of them in.

The turkey was a hit.
    1637960237871.jpg
    I may have gone *a bit* heavy with the searing torch, but the meat is fabulous.
    20210722_180038 (1).jpg
    It's so good that Groo, our battle scarred former stray - who only likes SWMBO and his kibble - accepted some from me. I think I may have crossed the "tolerated / trusted" barrier with him finally. This is a cat that wouldn't accept a bit of canned albacore when I make tuna salad sandwiches.

I think a man* male hominid caused him some trauma at some point - perhaps even caused his neck scar. He may never be a Daddy's cat, but he will always have a safe home with us.

*I won't categorize someone who would inflict the kind of wounds that caused his level of scarring as a "man".

Lancpudn likes this.
  19. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

And you’re not totally alone. Turkey is something I like once in a while, and has to be handled delicately when cooked as a whole bird so it’s not dry. For the last several years before pandemic, we bought turkeys from one of the farmers at the market for Thanksgiving. $80, but they were perfect, completely free range and forest grazing, no antibiotics or anything like that, scary large, and the most succulent turkeys we’ve ever had. The amazing thing was how quickly that large a large bird would cook, about half the time or even less than one from the grocery that was pumped full of water. They’ve decided to start living life and traveling, so no more expensive but incredible turkeys. Once a year, maybe twice, it’s good. Otherwise, it’s a nice chook for me.

soulman969 and Lancpudn like this.
  20. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Julia Child recognized quite a while ago the futility of cooking white and dark meat to two different temperatures while the bird is still intact.
    The sous vide method solves that problem beautifully. Tender, juicy meat (both types) and no basting, marinating, or any of the typical roasting woes. The juices are retained in the bag making a lovely aus jue gravy a simple matter.