Where’s Lancpudin?

Paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
Ian, is this place up in your neck of the woods?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/lock-dozens-stuck-englands-highest-103634355.html

f174da0613134d39486c1acee71ad841

it made it in the news here too
england-schnee-pub-103~_v-videowebm.jpg

soulman969

Reaction score
it made it in the news here too
england-schnee-pub-103~_v-videowebm.jpg

Wow, that what I call getting slammed. It doesn't take all that much snowfall when high winds are whipping it into drifts like that.

During the winter months we'll periodically get some storms like that where the snowfall is only 6"-8" but the winds create so much drifting they have to shut the interstate highways in the area down so people don't get caught out in the open and in the middle of nowhere and require rescue.

We have gates that are lowered across the access ramps to prevent anyone from getting on the highway and flashing yellow warning signs saying the road is closed but there are times just like that where drivers still get stranded somewhere and small towns open shelters in HS gyms.

Digger

Reaction score
I knew mowing was going to be a challenge after all the rain but was surprised when I almost slid all the way down a bank! It started to slip sideways and I had no traction to steer out of it. If I’d continued sideways I would have been the meat in a 250 kilo mower and a solid chunk of granite below and I would have been in the middle! I managed to turn it a bit and go down backwards fortunately.
7KdZmdwh.jpg

Then came getting it out! Tractor and chains got ‘er done but even that can be fraught as if you pull with the tractor a bit sideways it can roll too. Gael tells me I take too many risks but hell at 75 where else can you get this much fun?
nrd7kBkh.jpg

I encountered a few other areas where the zero turn really was more appropriately a skid steer and I went sideways trying to keep traction and not become bogged. I cant imagine pushing a normal mower around a flat block these days...where’s the fun in that?

Lancpudn

Reaction score

Lancpudn

Reaction score
Wow, that what I call getting slammed. It doesn't take all that much snowfall when high winds are whipping it into drifts like that.

During the winter months we'll periodically get some storms like that where the snowfall is only 6"-8" but the winds create so much drifting they have to shut the interstate highways in the area down so people don't get caught out in the open and in the middle of nowhere and require rescue.

We have gates that are lowered across the access ramps to prevent anyone from getting on the highway and flashing yellow warning signs saying the road is closed but there are times just like that where drivers still get stranded somewhere and small towns open shelters in HS gyms.

Yeah they have snow gates which are closed to through traffic when the weathers bad, It's really bleak up there. It's a very popular road with bikers because of the winding roads, Lots of accidents in the Summer time when they think they're at the TT races :D
The authorities ended up putting seven ANPR average speed cameras along the entire length of that road to reduce speeds/accidents, They earn a lot of money from what I've read.:shock:

Lancpudn

Reaction score
I knew mowing was going to be a challenge after all the rain but was surprised when I almost slid all the way down a bank! It started to slip sideways and I had no traction to steer out of it. If I’d continued sideways I would have been the meat in a 250 kilo mower and a solid chunk of granite below and I would have been in the middle! I managed to turn it a bit and go down backwards fortunately.
7KdZmdwh.jpg

Then came getting it out! Tractor and chains got ‘er done but even that can be fraught as if you pull with the tractor a bit sideways it can roll too. Gael tells me I take too many risks but hell at 75 where else can you get this much fun?
nrd7kBkh.jpg

I encountered a few other areas where the zero turn really was more appropriately a skid steer and I went sideways trying to keep traction and not become bogged. I cant imagine pushing a normal mower around a flat block these days...where’s the fun in that?

That's some heavy duty problems mowing a wet bank. Glad you got all the tools to get it sussed out mate, Great pics :dude: and DEAR ME! That blue sky looks beautiful :dude:

Lancpudn

Reaction score
It’s even bluer today my friend but then it is the first day of summer here.

It looks so nice instead of the constant grey skies we have here, I wasn't going to do anything or venture outside today but we're in for some more minus C overnight temps looking at the weather forecast so I think I'll put the battery maintainer on the Rover in the garage before the cold kills it.

Digger

Reaction score
Gael had a terrific day for her birthday yesterday and even though it’s warm, I’m going to hop on the tractor and get some things done today.

Digger

Reaction score
Oh I hear ya' my brother. I've found that the size of my gear collection has grown in inverse proportion to my lack of need to no longer shop in jewelry stores prior to Christmas, Birthdays, or Anniversaries.

I've gone through so many rechargeable versions in my life (including Wahl models) that more recently I've stuck with an older corded model that's seen better days as well. Let me know which model you settled on that you believe offers good value. That'll be my Christmas present to me.
This is the Wahl trimmer I got and I reiterate it’s got a small head for all the nooks and crannies.
rrorNPzh.jpg

It is a ripper though and chalk and chesse from the cheap Remington I tried earlier.

Lancpudn

Reaction score
My missus bought me a beard trimmer a couple of years ago, It's still in it's box as I'm too scared to try it on my beard & make a mess of it :ohno::D

Digger

Reaction score
My missus bought me a beard trimmer a couple of years ago, It's still in it's box as I'm too scared to try it on my beard & make a mess of it :ohno::D
Yeah a seconds inattention with the bigger one took a chunk out of my mo a while ago and thats why this smaller head is better for nooks and crannies.

With the bigger headed trimmer I just have to go lightly and it’s fine.

Lancpudn

Reaction score
Yeah a seconds inattention with the bigger one took a chunk out of my mo a while ago and thats why this smaller head is better for nooks and crannies.

With the bigger headed trimmer I just have to go lightly and it’s fine.

Ouch! I think I'll stick with the tried & trusted scissors :yesway: I should take it to the charity shop when she's not looking :D as it hasn't been used.

soulman969

Reaction score

Ah hell, give it a day or two and most messes will disappear in new growth. I've let mine grow a bit longer this fall just kind of experimenting with it but I could shave it all off and in two weeks be right back where I began.

soulman969

Reaction score
It has been an absolute zoo around here for nearly a month.

First there was my little encounter with our power disaster. The one that took out every outlet and circuit but those in my kitchen and bathroom. In the roughly 10 days plus it took to repair all that the only power I could draw on was from one outlet in my kitchen to power my laptop, one lamp, and Alexa and a speaker.

The repairs required rewiring every single outlet in three different rooms. Some of the wiring was so badly melted and blackened from a voltage surge it's shocking it didn't start a fire. Luckily my surge protectors did protect all of my gear and other electronics but it was nearly impossible to work for that many days pre repairs.

The building is under going mass renovation from the new owner who can't wait to finish and jack up rents by 50%. The problem is some of us have leases in place like mine which doesn't expire until June 30th 2022. So I am most definitely a thorn in their butt especially having a 2 BR 2 Bath unit of which there are only five in the entire building.

So the work crews are merrily going about their work with hammering, pounding, drilling, sawing, cutting holes in floors, and making for anything but the rather quiet relaxing place this has more typically been. The building should have been emptied out as they did with our sister building but they didn't do that or foresee the issues they're creating. Or they simply don't care.

What's worse is no one seems to know what anyone is doing and when because no written notice to tenants was ever provided nor a schedule of when certain work was to be done or even what specifically is being done. Yesterday I get a knock on my door from two guys wanting drill holes in a closet floor and ceiling for plumbing. Why? To add a washer and dryer I do not want. I need the closet space far more.

What's more the property management people have no idea how long such things take so they just throw out stuff like oh, it'll only take 20 minutes tops. Well six holes and the time afterward to clean up took 1.5 hours in which it was impossible to use the phone due to the noise from the sawzall and vacuum.

Today was another 20-25 minute (they claimed) nearly 2.0 hour foray to run PVC pipe through attaching it above and below for the drain system for the washer and dryer I still do not want. No one ever asked whether we'd prefer this they're just doing it. We do have a perfectly good laundry room on the ground floor. They still have to run hot and cold water lines for the washer and electrical.

Where's the electrical coming from? Oh, they're gonna pull our breaker box, add a breaker, then route wiring through the ceiling between joists hoping they can "fish it out" over that closet and bring it down into that closet. So not only did I need to empty the closet but I'm also losing about 15% of it's space for a washer and dryer that will only benefit the next tenants. I'm gone come July.

Now it gets even more interesting. I get a non-apology from the property managers saying we're sorry but ya' know it's only gonna get worse. Kinda like sorry we're stepping on your toes but the kick in the shins we have planned for later this month is gonna hurt even more and then this spring get ready for one or two in the balls. Needless to say this isn't at all unexpected.

The owners are fiercely angry there are tenants like me who have leases that aren't due to expire 7 months. They very badly want the 2 BR units and especially this one with 2 Baths. So yesterday they made a very generous offer to let me out of the lease without penalty. LOLOL Now why would I want to do that without significant compensation for moving expenses, security deposit and much higher rent? However, you can offer to buy me out of my lease. $$$$$.

They also kindly offered a move to the sister building but at rate 1/3 higher than here plus a utility surcharge I don't pay now. I do pay my own electrical but that's it. Heat, wi-fi, waste disposal, etc. is all included in my lease. They already took out the free wi-fi we've had for nearly 10 years and forced us to pay for our own which will be subtracted from my rent this month. That will be the opening salvo in what I'm sure will be a little ground war over tenant rights.

They've been lying and trying to pull shady crap ever since last June claiming they didn't have certain documents they did have and attempting to get people who do have leases to forego those in favor of a new one with them. Sorry guys but you knew the deal when you bought the property subject to the leases that were in place. It took 'til the end of October to get most tenants out but they're still stuck with about half of us and they do not like it one little bit.

Of course the third option they so neatly ignored was a reduction in our rent to compensate for all of the inconvenience and disruption. Of course they aren't gonna agree to that but when the inconvenience becomes too great and the need to access this place becomes much greater than planned for I plan to introduce my own discounts on a sliding scale and put that in their laps. I did it once before a few years ago when our elevator was out of service for two months.

I suppose they'll have their lawyers writing threatening letters and posting eviction notices if they believe they can but as long as I'm paying some rent an eviction is nearly impossible and even then everyone gets their day in court where I can present my lease and what evidence I have of the issues and inconveniences their renovation work has caused and will continue to cause. This isn't my first go 'round with a non-responsive landlord or property owner.

So, the fun and games have begun as I have long suspected they would and now it's up to me to keep documenting the problems and time needed to access my unit while they do their thing. At least the former owner, who was a great guy, was smart enough to vacate the sister building completely before renovating it. The same should have been done here but they're too greedy and know rents have sky rocketed around here. So they're being bullies about it all.

I don't deal well with bullies at all. I hit back.

Last edited:

Latest posts