Where’s Lancpudin?

soulman969

Reaction score
Another shooting here in Denver last night left 5 people dead and 3 more seriously injured. Details are still sketchy as to the who's and why's but it all took place about 15-20 minutes from me.

I'm beginning to wonder if we need to make a choice. Either no one can legally carry a gun or we all carry a gun and pretend we're back in the "Old West".

Digger

Reaction score
Wow, already two years....

seems short while remembering the fires
seems long if you consider it is how long we struggle with CoVid

We had a couple of groups here working hard to help with recovery after the fires. They were terrific but come March and the onset of Covid, it all stopped pretty much right away and fair enough. So come march it will be 2 years for Covid too and how the world has changed in that time. Since then we’ve paid for contractors to come and do what is necessary here. It’s cost 10’s of thousands but luckily there have been monetary contributions along the way that have made all the difference to us.
We live in a very lucky country.

Digger

Reaction score
Another shooting here in Denver last night left 5 people dead and 3 more seriously injured. Details are still sketchy as to the who's and why's but it all took place about 15-20 minutes from me.

I'm beginning to wonder if we need to make a choice. Either no one can legally carry a gun or we all carry a gun and pretend we're back in the "Old West".
Theres been much comment by people there who relish the freedoms the second amendment brings and yet decry the restrictions Aussies have on owning and carrying guns. However I wouldn’t want to change the way things are here and it feels a very safe place to live to me. I own guns and always have, enjoy them too but have no need to carry one for self defence.

I can’t see change coming easily there though.

Lancpudn

Reaction score
Following the Ashes test cricket down under has been really painful. This current team has been the worst that I can ever remember, Woeful.

fYVE1Skl.jpg

soulman969

Reaction score
Theres been much comment by people there who relish the freedoms the second amendment brings and yet decry the restrictions Aussies have on owning and carrying guns. However I wouldn’t want to change the way things are here and it feels a very safe place to live to me. I own guns and always have, enjoy them too but have no need to carry one for self defence.

I can’t see change coming easily there though.

More info coming out today indicates that all but one victim was selectively targeted for death. The final victim happened to be an innocent hotel clerk with no relationship to the shooter whatsoever who may have add a beef with her employer though. This is the shooter and at least some info on him.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/weak-better-buckle-denver-gunman-000540877.html?utm_source=pocket_mylist

My greatest concern is we have a virtual army of mentally deranged right wing wackos like him who are just itching for someone to turn them loose on those who oppose them and what they believe in. Political factions in the US have opened a Pandora's Box of violence and outright thuggery.

These people would like nothing better than to see Civil War breakout if only to give them an excuse to begin using the hoard of military hardware they've been stockpiling. They all have an axe to grind of some kind or another and spend much of their time plotting and planning for a domestic war with the govt.

The only response I can give to a statement like "The weak had better buckle up" is that "the weak" aren't nearly as weak as they think and we do know how to shoot back. The gunman died at the hands of a female police officer whom he had shot but was able to return fire and kill a cold blooded murderer.

Hooray for that. Saves the time and expense of a trial and a life long prison sentence.

Lancpudn

Reaction score
I ended up on shopping duties again yesterday as my missus is still crocked, There's a hairdressers inside the big ASDA supermarket so I thought I'll get my haircut if there's not a big queue waiting, Not many in there so when my turn came the hairdresser was a stunningly beautiful tall young Polish lady & spent 20 minutes talking about her home town of Wroclaw in Poland. She did a great job on the haircut too and all for the princely sum of 9 quid. :thumb:

Digger

Reaction score
Hot here today but I need to at least head into town for some scripts. I want to buy a new phone but baulk at mixing it with all the city people down here on holidays ATM. It’s crowded enough normally and I imagine cheek to jowl this time of year. Not with that bloody virus spreading like wildfire I don’t think.

Too warm to do much outside other than watering. I'm hoping that a few hotter days might dry things out a bit here.

Raiyn

Reaction score
I was at it again on Tuesday. This is a clone of the venerable Boss DM-2. Finished it around midnight and set it aside as I had the plumbers over the next day to tell me they need to punch a hole in my wall and replace my three knob shower controls with a cartridge joystick thing... I'll probably have time to dial in the trimpots this weekend though.

1640801983039.jpg 1640801991020.jpg

soulman969

Reaction score
On the heels of Tuesdays mass shooting we now have a major brush fire north of Denver in Louisville and Superior suburbs about 20 mile NW of Denver proper. The early reports are saying that nearly 700 homes and businesses have been destroyed so far by flames drive by 40-50 mph winds and gusts up to 100 mph.

42c00239f90516a322e2a7fcc4589d94

Video: https://twitter.com/i/status/1476724227621498885

Over 30,000 residents have been evacuated from both towns.

Up 'til now we haven't paid the price for the tinder dry conditions surroundings us but all of that changed today. Unlike more sparsely populated mountain areas this particular area is a very densely populated suburban area between Denver and Boulder.

It's hilly open range land covered in dry brush in a corridor that can experience very high winds that can often top 100mph. Given the current dryness and winds I fear they're gonna lose over 1000 homes and business and two towns may very likely be burned to the ground.

Lancpudn

Reaction score
On the heels of Tuesdays mass shooting we now have a major brush fire north of Denver in Louisville and Superior suburbs about 20 mile NW of Denver proper. The early reports are saying that nearly 700 homes and businesses have been destroyed so far by flames drive by 40-50 mph winds and gusts up to 100 mph.

42c00239f90516a322e2a7fcc4589d94

Video: https://twitter.com/i/status/1476724227621498885

Over 30,000 residents have been evacuated from both towns.

Up 'til now we haven't paid the price for the tinder dry conditions surroundings us but all of that changed today. Unlike more sparsely populated mountain areas this particular area is a very densely populated suburban area between Denver and Boulder.

It's hilly open range land covered in dry brush in a corridor that can experience very high winds that can often top 100mph. Given the current dryness and winds I fear they're gonna lose over 1000 homes and business and two towns may very likely be burned to the ground.

Good grief that's terrible! Just been reading about this & watching some video over breakfast, The worlds weather is really messed up.

soulman969

Reaction score
Good grief that's terrible! Just been reading about this & watching some video over breakfast, The worlds weather is really messed up.

As I've been posting it's been an extremely dry fall here. We've had little snowfall and also very little rain so the ground and the timber are very dry and susceptible to wildfires. In this case it was apparently some power lines downed by the wind that sparked the initial blaze. From there the winds did the rest.

Firefighters have said that the fire was spreading laterally at over 300 feet per minute so essentially half a block of homes were being consumed each and every minute it remained out of control. That in itself is pretty scary and it's a minor miracle there were no casualties because the evacuations were effective.

It's fortunate this took place in an area where there are substantial roads and avenues for resident to exit the burn area. But as developed as that area is there is still a significant amount of open space with nothing but dry ground cover so with the wind pushing the fire it spread very quickly.

Lancpudn

Reaction score
We had the mildest December day on record in some southern parts of the UK yesterday with temps of 15.5C, Those are not far off Summer temps :shock:
We've got the mild weather up here today with a high of 15C & dry, Tee shirt weather.

Latest posts