Where’s Lancpudin?

Lancpudn

Reaction score
Going to pick our daughter up from the garage shortly as she's taking her Ford Kuga to get that heater unit replaced, These cold mornings of scraping ice from the windscreen & the inside freezing over is dangerous so she's biting the bullet & shelling out £600 to get it fixed :shock:

Digger

Reaction score
I sorted a few things out with the new phone yesterday and any problems I had working it are gone. I really like it!
Still clearing out bedrooms to have things ready for new carpet on Monday. How can we have so much stuff?

Lancpudn

Reaction score
FORD.....F..ix O..r R..epair D..aily. :rofl:

Sorry Ian. Couldn't resist. $600 pounds is really no laughing matter. :mad:

LOL When I took her back in the evening to collect it the final bill came to £715 :wow: She's not a happy bunny at having to shell out that much money to get the heater fixed.

soulman969

Reaction score
LOL When I took her back in the evening to collect it the final bill came to £715 :wow: She's not a happy bunny at having to shell out that much money to get the heater fixed.

No, I don't don't imagine she would be. Other than the fact that I can't quite understand how a heater could break down anyway the other issue is why are modern cars engineered in such a way that a repair like that one is so damn expensive? And it's not just Ford. Most cars are like that now.

Raiyn

Reaction score
why are modern cars engineered in such a way that a repair like that one is so damn expensive?
Well, considering all the possible options (which have to be allotted room for even on base models), mandatory safety features (ie: 47 airbags), and other whistles and bells on modern vehicles and the need to cram it all in around crumple zones, door beams, and enhanced rollover structures... cramming stuff in becomes a bit more challenging than on a classic vehicle.

Lancpudn

Reaction score
No, I don't don't imagine she would be. Other than the fact that I can't quite understand how a heater could break down anyway the other issue is why are modern cars engineered in such a way that a repair like that one is so damn expensive? And it's not just Ford. Most cars are like that now.
Well, considering all the possible options (which have to be allotted room for even on base models), mandatory safety features (ie: 47 airbags), and other whistles and bells on modern vehicles and the need to cram it all in around crumple zones, door beams, and enhanced rollover structures... cramming stuff in becomes a bit more challenging than on a classic vehicle.

We looked on the Ford Kuga forums over here & it's a known fault with them apparently, Her last car a Renault Megane had the same heater issues with the dashboard having to come out of that to replace it also.

I think you've hit the nail on the head Raiyn as to today's cars having to be engineered in specific ways is the main problem. As if owning a car isn't expensive enough already with people having to put up with high repair costs.

Otto99

Reaction score
Which is why I’m completely satisfied keeping my 22 year old BMW running like a champ.

Raiyn

Reaction score
I think you've hit the nail on the head Raiyn as to today's cars having to be engineered in specific ways is the main problem. As if owning a car isn't expensive enough
While what I said earlier is certainly true, it can pay dividends. I've been able to purchase and install optional OEM parts from higher trim levels of our car that ended up being plug and play - largely because the chassis wiring harness is the same across models.

Having said that, I suspect one of my duties in my waning days of vacation will be to swap and clean the cabin air filter, likewise the air filter.

Digger

Reaction score
New carpet day today! The place is in utter turmoil!

I look forward to gradually being able to get things straight again.

soulman969

Reaction score
We looked on the Ford Kuga forums over here & it's a known fault with them apparently, Her last car a Renault Megane had the same heater issues with the dashboard having to come out of that to replace it also.

I think you've hit the nail on the head Raiyn as to today's cars having to be engineered in specific ways is the main problem. As if owning a car isn't expensive enough already with people having to put up with high repair costs.

The higher cost of repairs is one reason why I more typically leased cars through my business. I drove Saabs for several years and was lucky enough to have an ace Saab only mechanic who kept my 9000s going for longer than I expected but when I replaced it with my 95 I leased it with a 50,000 full warranty then ditched it when the lease ended. Since then I've driven a Honda Civic and a Toyota Corollla.

Otto99

Reaction score
While what I said earlier is I've been able to purchase and install optional OEM parts from higher trim levels of our car that ended up being plug and play - largely because the chassis wiring harness is the same across models.

Having said that, I suspect one of my duties in my waning days of vacation will be to swap and clean the cabin air filter, likewise the air filter.
Exactly. If I want something my car didn’t come with, it’s an easy add because the wiring is already there. All 3 Series have the same wiring harness, just some of the receptacles don’t have something plugged into them. And this wagon is the first car in a while, BMW or Honda, that the cabin air filter is a breeze to change. It’s under the hood/bonnet at the base of the windshield rather than being buried up under the dash.

Digger

Reaction score
So 6 of the 7 available carpet layers are down with Covid so our house is going to be in turmoil until enough of them recover to do our job.

In the meantime I’ve wheeled part of my office desk into our bedroom and have set up the computer in there for the time being. I’ve had to boost the signal a bit as the router is up the other end of the house.

My view has improved a 1000 fold.
L8wpeXih.jpg

Lancpudn

Reaction score
So 6 of the 7 available carpet layers are down with Covid so our house is going to be in turmoil until enough of them recover to do our job.

In the meantime I’ve wheeled part of my office desk into our bedroom and have set up the computer in there for the time being. I’ve had to boost the signal a bit as the router is up the other end of the house.

My view has improved a 1000 fold.
L8wpeXih.jpg

Nice pic mate, I could go that view especially for the bright daylight, These old houses are dingy & dark inside especially during the Autumn /Winter months. The house lights are on continuously this time of year. :frown:

Still miserable wet weather here but I have to venture out to the Aldi this morning for some basics, We've run out of milk for my cuppa. :thumb:

Raiyn

Reaction score
Exactly. If I want something my car didn’t come with, it’s an easy add because the wiring is already there. All 3 Series have the same wiring harness, just some of the receptacles don’t have something plugged into them.
It's rather nice not having to fabricobble wiring for things.
And this wagon is the first car in a while, BMW or Honda, that the cabin air filter is a breeze to change. It’s under the hood/bonnet at the base of the windshield rather than being buried up under the dash.
Yeah, I'm not quite so lucky. I get to remove the glove box, the owner's manual cubby insert, a side trim piece on the dash, a few plastic rivet thingys and then I get to the filter. If I had designed it, there would be a frame attached to the back of the owner's manual cubby that held the filter. Maybe I'd have a pair of panel rivets on either side of the cubby / bracket to better secure it.

Digger

Reaction score
Thanks Ian, I set the house out so that all the major rooms had that view and then enlarged the dam by a factor of 4 to make it the dominant feature. Most of the house is windows leaving just enough bricks to hold the roof up. It feels like we are living outside most of the time.

I’ve been in England in Winter and wouldn’t want to swap.

Then there’s the heat!

Lancpudn

Reaction score
Well the Ford Kuga saga continues! The clutch went belly up on it again on her way home from work (that's another common problem with them too apparently) She had to wait 7 hours for the recovery truck to show up :frown: because they hadn't got a recovery vehicle in the vicinity big enough to transport it. She couldn't run the engine to keep warm as there was no clutch pedal to depress for the safety switch starter :frown: It was after midnight when they showed up so it was brought to our house, We still need to arrange transport for it to a garage yet :frown:.
It's cost her a small fortune in repairs that bleddy thing.

Lancpudn

Reaction score
Hey what's this on the news sites over here about your Australian supermarket chain Cole's rationing toilet paper? You'd better stock up mate. :thumb:

Digger

Reaction score
Hey what's this on the news sites over here about your Australian supermarket chain Cole's rationing toilet paper? You'd better stock up mate. :thumb:
And Coles is where we shop!

It happened last time too and a number of things were rationed at the same time.

Gael went in to get her booster shot yesterday and did some shopping for the first time in ages. She brought home an 18 pack of dunny rolls and it was the last one in the shelf, so we should be right for a day ot two.....Grin~

It’s hard to buy processed chicken too as processing plants are so short staffed with Covid ATM. Before this thing ran away last year I did a big shop for the store cupboard, huge bag of flour for the bread maker, long life milk, rice, pasta, oil, canned goods like tomatoes, baked beans, and so on. It’s all put aside in a walk in cupboard in the laundry for shortages.
Lots of toilet paper and kitchen paper too.

As a matter of prudence we are only going into town if we absolutely have to and not visiting, going out or leaving the property really. Once all the terrorists (tourists) go home we will ease off a bit.

Lancpudn

Reaction score
And Coles is where we shop!

It happened last time too and a number of things were rationed at the same time.

Gael went in to get her booster shot yesterday and did some shopping for the first time in ages. She brought home an 18 pack of dunny rolls and it was the last one in the shelf, so we should be right for a day ot two.....Grin~

It’s hard to buy processed chicken too as processing plants are so short staffed with Covid ATM. Before this thing ran away last year I did a big shop for the store cupboard, huge bag of flour for the bread maker, long life milk, rice, pasta, oil, canned goods like tomatoes, baked beans, and so on. It’s all put aside in a walk in cupboard in the laundry for shortages.
Lots of toilet paper and kitchen paper too.

As a matter of prudence we are only going into town if we absolutely have to and not visiting, going out or leaving the property really. Once all the terrorists (tourists) go home we will ease off a bit.

It's the same thing here with processed food plants, abattoirs. The UK used to have lots of eastern European meat workers here in that industry before the B word & now has to go cap in hand over there offering Visa's for these workers to come here.
My trips into town have been curtailed too because our daughter is using our car, She's gone from 5:30am until 10:00pm in it :shock:.
Our area of north west England has been spending £millions on more public transport infrastructure lately (we already had a good system) so I shall be partaking trips on the new guided bus routes that are now open. It wont cost me anything with my free old farts travel pass :dude: so I wont be stuck for transport. I usually go into Manchester on the train but this guided bus route is just as fast as all the traffic lights are in the buses favour & you just sail right along.

The Kuga is still sat on the road out front as she's no more money to pay for the clutch repairs just yet & the bank of Mam & Dad is on the skint side too. :frown:

I ended up getting the Rover out of the garage yesterday to get at my MIG welder! The weld on the ironing board leg broke whilst she was ironing her work clothes :shock: She's the kiss of death to everything she touches at present :D & she's using our car :ohno:

VENzcWjl.jpg

2amet5fl.jpg

Latest posts