Where’s Lancpudin?

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
Had to take a day off today. Yesterday afternoon I experienced some painful swelling in both my feet and lower leg along with some shooting pains from muscle spasms in my legs. Bite on a bullet painful.

One of them happened while I was on a phone call with a customer so you can imagine how that went. I just went silent for so long the customer thought I might have been disconnected. We weren't.

Called my clinic and they suggested drinking electrolytes, muscle relaxers (which I already use), and a day of keeping my feet elevated which I can't easily do while taking calls all day and I can't walk around to walk off a spasm when I'm also tied to a keyboard and monitors.

If the swelling hasn't gone down by tonight and the muscle spasms persist they want me to come in for possible for blood clots. I had a pulmonary embolism around 15 years ago and I keep close tabs on anything that might indicate another problem like that so I may have them do some further investigation just to be sure it isn't clots.

Digger

Reaction score
Bugger! Sorry to hear that and hoping it’s just temporary.

I had a phone consultation with my GP yesterday and am booked in for a chest X-Ray on Monday. Had this chesty condition for weeks and weeks and I assured her it hadn’t stopped me working. “Stubborn old bugger” she said….Grin~

Hopefully more antibiotics will see me right as rain. Influenza A is the suspect as I had contact weeks ago.

Not too bad, just have to pull my head in a bit.

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
I think quite a few of us are "stubborn old buggers". It bothered me all day to miss a day of work knowing that it leaves the team short one member and the others then have to pick up that slack.

It's after 5:00 PM now and after several hours sleep brought on by a massive does of muscle relaxer the spasms seem to have gone away and the swelling in my feet and lower legs is down.

So maybe that old cure of drink plenty of fluids and get more rest is working after all. It doesn't hurt as much to walk now either.

Otto99

Reaction score
I need to find a space somewhere in the garden to plant the rhubarb I grew from seed, I planted the seedling in a bucket & now it's enormous & needs a bigger place.
The ground should be a soft dig with all the rain we've had lately.
When I lived in Bismarck, North Dakota - so spare me your weather comparisons @Raiyn - we had volunteer rhubarb springing up from where the AC compressor drained. It was massive, and I wanted to make a strawberry rhubarb cobbler, but they don’t grow strawberries in North Dakota, and it’s a long way from where they do, so we just enjoyed the color.

Otto99

Reaction score
Had to take a day off today. Yesterday afternoon I experienced some painful swelling in both my feet and lower leg along with some shooting pains from muscle spasms in my legs. Bite on a bullet painful.

One of them happened while I was on a phone call with a customer so you can imagine how that went. I just went silent for so long the customer thought I might have been disconnected. We weren't.

Called my clinic and they suggested drinking electrolytes, muscle relaxers (which I already use), and a day of keeping my feet elevated which I can't easily do while taking calls all day and I can't walk around to walk off a spasm when I'm also tied to a keyboard and monitors.

If the swelling hasn't gone down by tonight and the muscle spasms persist they want me to come in for possible for blood clots. I had a pulmonary embolism around 15 years ago and I keep close tabs on anything that might indicate another problem like that so I may have them do some further investigation just to be sure it isn't clots.
Dude, that sounds not unlike lower vein thrombosis, or blood clots in the legs that can migrate upward. If you’re not dead yet, I seriously suggest calling your doctor right fucking now or an ambulance, again right fucking now.

Lancpudn

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that soulmann, As others have said I'd get it checked out ASAP. I've been on blood thinners (apixaban) for deep vein thrombosis since March, My left lower leg is still swollen & isn't the shape it's supposed to be, In fact I've got an appointment with the DVT team on the 26th September for a progress report.

Whitefang

Reaction score
We just used them as shortcuts. I never considered sneaking down that alley to snap off a few stalks of rhubarb as "mischief". ;) I really never knew the city's reason for closing off most of them though. The alley behind my Grandmother's house is still open. But my first house, in the same city, had a utility pole behind the garage with that pole being on my property. But it was obvious that back in the "day", when the house was built(1948) that pole was located in the alley.

Whitefang

Digger

Reaction score
I was advised by a doctor years ago as a newly diagnosed diabetic to take half an aspirin every day to thin my blood. Diabetics have 4X the risk of heart attack or stroke. I ended up having stomach problems and when they had a look found a “field” of small ulcers growing like mushrooms in my stomach.

Needless to say I stopped the aspirin.

Otto99

Reaction score
Where's this aggression coming from?
Having read your post I probably would have given it a thumbs up and mention we had a rhubarb patch out back.
My mother made wonderful Rhubarb bars.
Lighten up, Francis. No aggression here at all, just a jape at how similar the weather might be in Bismarck to Minneapolis or wherever it is you proclaim to be Xanadu. We did cut some and made a tart after boiling the crap out of them in a sugar syrup. They were impressively large, and when I mentioned them to coworkers, they all came and harvested the rest. Still wish I’d had strawberries, though. Hard to find up there.

Otto99

Reaction score
I was advised by a doctor years ago as a newly diagnosed diabetic to take half an aspirin every day to thin my blood. Diabetics have 4X the risk of heart attack or stroke. I ended up having stomach problems and when they had a look found a “field” of small ulcers growing like mushrooms in my stomach.

Needless to say I stopped the aspirin.
My mother had the same thing happen because of aspirin, and she was only taking the lowest dose available. Amazingly enough, over here they market the lower dose for that very purpose, and tell you in ads you should consider taking one a day, but talk to your doctor. Then comes the rapidfire disclaimer talk about possible ulcers and gastric bleeding, potentially leading to a fatal event. Our drug commercials over here are not to be believed, and I assume the rest of the globe has a more restrained pharma industry.

Last edited:

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
Dude, that sounds not unlike lower vein thrombosis, or blood clots in the legs that can migrate upward. If you’re not dead yet, I seriously suggest calling your doctor right fucking now or an ambulance, again right fucking now.
THAT is also my concern. The swelling is down quite a bit now and I've placed a call to my clinic for an immediate appt to evaluate what's going on.

Raiyn

Reaction score
Lighten up, Francis. No aggression here at all, just a jape at how similar the weather might be in Bismarck to Minneapolis or wherever it is you proclaim to be Xanadu.
Now hang on a moment, you don't get to take a free shot at me (literally @ me) and then turn around and tell me to lighten up.

This isn't the weather thread, so no - you don't get to blithely assume that's automatically where I would go and make some snide comment to that effect.

For the record, I happen to be having an extremely hard time dealing with the aftermath (legal, financial, and emotional) of losing both parents in the last few years, feeling like I'm trapped in a place I don't want to live, a good dose of the blues, coupled with homesickness / nostalgia for my old stomping grounds.

If I choose to compare where I am versus where I come from in a damn weather thread as some kind of half-assed coping mechanism that's one thing, but for you to make a backhanded comment about it in a completely unrelated thread that's another.

I'd be happy to accept an apology and move on. I'm not looking for sympathy, just don't take unwarranted shots at a guy.

As I said, we had a rhubarb patch, Mom made a very nice crumble / bar that I quite enjoyed.

Last edited:

Lancpudn

Reaction score
Twas a day of roasting the remaining ripe tomatoes off the vines yesterday ready to make pasta sauces & chutney. :dude:

VW6VXBzl.jpg

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
THAT is also my concern. The swelling is down quite a bit now and I've placed a call to my clinic for an immediate appt to evaluate what's going on.
Follow up is I'm to be evaluated later today with an ultrasound to hunt for any possible clots. I guess it's time to get serious about this and find out once and for all what's goin' on down there around my ankle and foot.

Lancpudn

Reaction score
Follow up is I'm to be evaluated later today with an ultrasound to hunt for any possible clots. I guess it's time to get serious about this and find out once and for all what's goin' on down there around my ankle and foot.

Two blood clots showed up in my thigh & groin although it was my left calf & ankle that swelled up. Good luck.

Whitefang

Reaction score
My mother had the same thing happen because of aspirin, and she was only taking the lowest dose available. Amazingly enough, over here they market the lower dose for that very purpose, and tell you in ads you should consider taking one a day, but talk to your doctor. Then comes the rapidfire disclaimer talk about possible ulcers and gastric bleeding, potentially leading to a fatal event. Our drug commercials over here are not to be believed, and I assume the rest of the globe has a more restrained pharma industry.
So did my Dad. Took aspirin like popcorn and developed diverticulitis. I take a low dose aspirin a day too( 81mg) along with coumadin for thinning the blood. So one daily dose of the "low dose" aspirin probably wouldn't have caused your Mom's or Digger's problem. He said he was taking 1/2 a tablet, which would be probably more than 150mg. Aspirin tablets are generally 325mg.

Whitefang

Otto99

Reaction score
So did my Dad. Took aspirin like popcorn and developed diverticulitis. I take a low dose aspirin a day too( 81mg) along with coumadin for thinning the blood. So one daily dose of the "low dose" aspirin probably wouldn't have caused your Mom's or Digger's problem. He said he was taking 1/2 a tablet, which would be probably more than 150mg. Aspirin tablets are generally 325mg.

Whitefang
Come to think of it, I believe she was taking Coumadin or something similar at the same time.

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
To late to get the ultrasound done last night unless I wanted to pay a $90 deductible for an ER visit and wait for them to call the Ultrasound Tech back to do it.

On a Fridaty night after 6:00 PM I deemed that would be cruel and unjust punishment and besides I would had to wait for another hour myself and hadn't eaten all day so I said I'd wait 'til Monday.

The doc examined both legs and came to the conclusion that my right leg and ankle were more swollen than my left. :facepalm: If that's all it takes to be a diagnostician I'm thinking of changing careers again.

But she also felt that the risk of a clot and DVT was relatively low and like my previous doc believed it was simply a case of Stasis Edema brought on by too many hours seated at my computer.

Imagine that? I've been working at my computer daily for how long now and that doesn't include my off duty hours spent talking to you blokes and others in various forums and all of my research, writing, and communication with the outside world in general.

Sitting at a computer is what I do all day every day so........

Rather than agree to an amputation I believe I'll take her advice to elevate my legs during the day and at night while sleeping. To that end I've ordered a foot rest that can also function as a foot pillow at night when I sleep and some athletic compression hose.

So it looks like I'll just need to change my habits a bit and maybe even do some in place cycling down in the gym attached to my building. To sum it up I need to be more active which may also entail a few more changes around here but I'll work on the easiest solutions first.

ridgewood-hills-apartments-fort-collins-co-gym_003.jpg

Otto99

Reaction score
To late to get the ultrasound done last night unless I wanted to pay a $90 deductible for an ER visit and wait for them to call the Ultrasound Tech back to do it.

On a Fridaty night after 6:00 PM I deemed that would be cruel and unjust punishment and besides I would had to wait for another hour myself and hadn't eaten all day so I said I'd wait 'til Monday.

The doc examined both legs and came to the conclusion that my right leg and ankle were more swollen than my left. :facepalm: If that's all it takes to be a diagnostician I'm thinking of changing careers again.

But she also felt that the risk of a clot and DVT was relatively low and like my previous doc believed it was simply a case of Stasis Edema brought on by too many hours seated at my computer.

Imagine that? I've been working at my computer daily for how long now and that doesn't include my off duty hours spent talking to you blokes and others in various forums and all of my research, writing, and communication with the outside world in general.

Sitting at a computer is what I do all day every day so........

Rather than agree to an amputation I believe I'll take her advice to elevate my legs during the day and at night while sleeping. To that end I've ordered a foot rest that can also function as a foot pillow at night when I sleep and some athletic compression hose.

So it looks like I'll just need to change my habits a bit and maybe even do some in place cycling down in the gym attached to my building. To sum it up I need to be more active which may also entail a few more changes around here but I'll work on the easiest solutions first.

View attachment 18691
Well, that’s hopeful news.

Latest posts