Why are Gibson's worse than Epiphones?

phonepi

Reaction score
I only own one Gibson - the 1st guitar that I bought - still with me 40 years later, with her original case :

IMG_7562.JPG

IMG_3509.JPG

Is it worse than an equivalent Epiphone ? Indeed, no... But it's not the Gibson of today, despite this is a Norlin era model, nonetheless built in the original Kalamazoo 225 Parsons Street factory.

I made an attempt to buy a Gibson Les Paul some years ago : being Junior, Standard, etc... I finally found that buying an Epiphone Les Paul Junior was as good for me.

And if one day I want a nice Les Paul Standard, no way : I'll certainly choose an Epiphone Les Paul "Plus Top Pro LH" !

1669755020741.png

But it's me, OK ?

P

Last edited:

Noodling Guitars

Reaction score
:lol: Can I give you my wife's phone number so you can tell her that?
Wait, which part? The part that a Hermes doesn't need to be better to justify the price tag or that she'd be better off with a Kevlar bag :rofl: or both

I think the message should be that her one Hermes bag can get you a couple Gibbies, a boutique amp... and she'd still have change for that kevlar bag :thumb:

Darkness

Reaction score
Wait, which part? The part that a Hermes doesn't need to be better to justify the price tag or that she'd be better off with a Kevlar bag :rofl: or both

I think the message should be that her one Hermes bag can get you a couple Gibbies, a boutique amp... and she'd still have change for that kevlar bag :thumb:
I actually like her having expensive bags. When I buy a guitar and she starts questioning me I immediately count her bags. Her Hermes cost more than my six Epiphones.

Noodling Guitars

Reaction score
I actually like her having expensive bags. When I buy a guitar and she starts questioning me I immediately count her bags. Her Hermes cost more than my six Epiphones.
Yeah it's crazy right? Like if guitarists started applying budget guitar logic to a leather bag that comes with a twilly, they'd go absolutely bonkers. That's why I say just get whatever makes you happy (and of course within your budget). There's no need to justify the price - just like there's no logic in trying to justify handbags (AND they don't even have any value as vintage - they depreciate like cars!!!)

Darkness

Reaction score
There's no need to justify the price - just like there's no logic in trying to justify handbags (AND they don't even have any value as vintage - they depreciate like cars!!!)
She has a pretty good eye for deals. She has picked up a few that have gone up in value and turned small profits on a few. She had a Chanel "wallet on chain" (too small to even fit a phone in) that she picked up for $1100 and sold 3 years later for $1500. Most of her stuff she plans to keep, but some are to flip.

As far as guitars and this subject, we can't make blanket statements. I've picked up Gibson and knew they weren't better than my Epiphones, and I've picked up Gibson where I agree they may be better than my Epiphones. For me the cost isn't justified because they are never 10x better, and they always cost 10x as much. Besides, when you start going into the minor tonal differences, any of that is out the window once pedals, gain, and modeling amps are involved.

Lou-Hela

Reaction score
I freaking love my Gibsons.
My SG is so perfectly made. I never thought anything but a Fender could be so accurately set up.

Reaction score
I remember back in the 1970's, my Dad got us those radio crystal kits, they had tube testers, cables, capaciors, potentiometers and you name it .

It was actually a place to get electrical parts, then in the late 70's / early 80's, it changed for the worse .
Even some of the old fashioned electric supply stores went belly up in my town .
they all went belly up. circuit city was the last one but im guessing walmart cornered the market and bought em out.

i love the red one and its matching headstock

Reaction score
First off Raiyn, "disposable" income is all income after taxes which is different from "discretionary" income which is the income left over after paying for necessities. "Discretionary" income is probably the word you were looking for...

As far as your statement about trying to "recapture lost youth or nostalgia, whether they admit it or not" is concerned, you're really just making wild generalizations, stereotypes and assumptions. You're not a member of the stereotypical demographic you imagine but nevertheless think you know those in it better than they know themselves...??? What, just because of what brand of guitars they like or buy... ???

You think doing things YOUR way and modding YOUR guitar is a "form of expression." But, at the same time, Gibson or USA Fender buyers modding their guitars is apparently just a bunch of posers chasing "lost youth or nostalgia driven by internet lore." A bit hypocritical maybe...???
dont you know how to disagree without being condescending? its a forum. a place to exchange ideas and opinions but not you. you just belittle everybody you dont agree with. then you twist the words to try to give youre rudeness validity. if the internet makes you wanna be like that then just throw your pc and/or phone away. u gotta let that chip on your shoulder go.

Reaction score
dont you know how to disagree without being condescending? its a forum. a place to exchange ideas and opinions but not you. you just belittle everybody you dont agree with. then you twist the words to try to give youre rudeness validity. if the internet makes you wanna be like that then just throw your pc and/or phone away. u gotta let that chip on your shoulder go.
Did you read the post that this was in response too? I think your comments would be more fitting if applied there. Either way BOO hoo..
Go cry a river to somebody else...

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
Two points to make here.

1) Let it die guys. Nothing to be gained by keeping that squabble going.

2) I don't want to lock an otherwise valid thread but the pissing match needs to end so please do as requested or I will lock this thread.

AJ6stringsting

Reaction score
Doesn't matter what it says on the headstock.... I have a couple of Gibsons and an Epiphone.... they both get equal love from me !!!! .

Latest posts